Belly of the beast, DC

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoeSponge

Reaction score
... or actually, just outside of DC.

A newb who is interested in learning new stuff, and cider. What a match.

Just reading up on cider and getting ready to try my first batches.

Pouring all the knowledge into my skull has been fun. Makes for lots of questions, which further reading usually answers. I am happy to see some folks doing small batches and getting usable results. It's easier to talk my wife into a new hobby if I can start on a small scale :D

I have been enjoying reading about getting results using less expensive equipment -- like 1-, 3- and 5-gallon PET water containers. I'm going to be trying my first batches in 1 G sizes.

I'm going to be trying fermenting a gallon of ultra-fresh cider, or two. Both with just the yeasts from the apples (just experimenting). One, long term, in the 'fridge (courtesy of the proprietor of WeekendBrewer dot com ). Another wll be air-locked and pulled to room temperature.

Later, I will probably try one using apple juice, brown sugar, and Montrachet.

I'll probably try to end the first couple batches early, as I am more used to sweeter ciders (JK Scrumpy-style).

I'm really excited by the prospects and may be hampering myself by trying small batches and low-tech, but it is mainly a series of hobby experiments rather than a serious attempt.

I have enjoyed reading about techniques, recipes, tastings, results, and work-arounds.

Thanks for the great forum reading and answering questions... it makes learning much easier.

Latest posts

Back