Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Fermenters > help turning keg into brew kettle

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-25-2013, 04:54 PM   #1
NewJersey
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Default help turning keg into brew kettle

so i acquired a beautiful ss sam keg yesterday and have a buddy who is a professional welder. my question is where you guys reccomend buying the bungs to weld in and at what heights do they get welded in?
i only wanna have a spigot at the bottom that i can screw a screen into and one a lil higher up to have a thermometer in.
i plan to mash in it with my same bayou burner i use for 5 gallon batches. batch sparge in it, (run the wort out into my two pots i use for 5 gallon batches) clean it out quickly, and then do the boil in it. After the boil i would just split the wort into two carboys or buckets to ferment, and later into two cornys.
suggestions?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2013, 09:13 PM   #2
NewJersey
Recipes 

also curious what kind of immersion chiller you guys use in these?
with my copper coil ic in the keggle i think it will sit too low in the wort and the plastic hose will also be submerged

Old 03-25-2013, 09:20 PM   #3
BetterSense
Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I deliberately made my copper IC so that there is no copper sticking up out of the wort, which is a waste of copper. I use silicone hose which has no problem with boiling temperatures.

Are you going to brew 10-gallon batches? Because if you aren't used to a keggle, you might be surprised how low the liquid level is. It's only about a foot high for a 5-gallon batch. I re-wound my copper IC to be double-coiled because at 50 feet, it was too tall for my keggle.

Old 03-25-2013, 09:30 PM   #4
Huaco
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 114 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 34

If you had another keg, you could make the copper IC as noted above. Make it removable and use it as a HERMS coil during the mash by placing it in the HLT and recirculating your mash through it.

Old 03-25-2013, 09:50 PM   #5
NewJersey
Recipes 

i don't even know what HERMS is yet. yes, i want to start brewing 10 gallon batches.
i am actually already leaning towards getting another keg and am actually currently on the stainless brewing website eyeing up the hop spider and dry hopper. dry hopping right in my cornys would skip a step. downside is i would need two of the dryhopper for 10 gallon batches.
decisions decisons

Old 03-25-2013, 10:03 PM   #6
Huaco
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

I have a dry hopper from StainlessBrewing.com LOVE IT. What I do is purge the kegs with CO2 and transfer to them then dry hop in one while the other is just sitting there under pressure. Not enough to carbonate it, but enough to seat all the seals. I just pull the dry hopper out and Carb the first keg while the second keg is dry hoping with a new batch of hops in it.

Old 03-25-2013, 10:06 PM   #7
Huaco
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Oh... and HERMS is nothing more than a Heat Exchanging Recirculating Mash System. You pump wort from the Mash Tun through the coil inside the Hot Liquor Tank and it matches the temp of the Hot Liquor and then goes back into the Mash to maintain a steady heat in the grain bed.

Old 03-25-2013, 10:28 PM   #8
NewJersey
Recipes 

why couldnt you carbonate it while dry hopping simeltaneously?
after 10 days (3 at 30psi 7 at 10psi) my beers are always done carbing up.
why couldnt i just pull the dry hopper out then, close the corny back up, and get it into my kegerator and throw on at 10psi?
after a couple days to chill out, my beer would be ready to drink.
i almost always only primary for 7 days (depends on OG and i, of course, check to see if the FG reading is on target)
so 7 days primary and 10 days secondary/carbonating is 17 days instead of the 25-27 i'm used to.
i have 5 tabs open right now just getting my purchases straight.
im lucky to be getting the kegs themselves for almost free.
i wish i had just started with 10 gallon batches to begin with. oddly enough it would have been cheaper for me. weird.

Old 03-25-2013, 10:38 PM   #9
Huaco
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Just don't want to open a carbonated keg... Have you ever opened a carbonated keg? I haven't, and I don't want to.

Old 03-25-2013, 10:43 PM   #10
NewJersey
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huaco View Post
Just don't want to open a carbonated keg... Have you ever opened a carbonated keg? I haven't, and I don't want to.
i havent ever done this and dont see what kind of terrible thing would happen if i did. if you release the pressure and wait a couple minutes i would imagine its fine. no? something i'm missing?

Quick Reply