Easiest/Cheapest spunding valve ever?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DavidWatkins

Reaction score
I was struck by a slight touch of genius just a few moments ago and had to share.

Anyone who has considered a spunding valve has probably looked at the price and flinched at yet another $30-$40 piece of kit that they don't really need but want anyway. Or maybe not, some folks have the cash to indulge when the fancy strikes.

This is for the first group. Pressure cookers are set up to operate at 15psi.

Purchase a replacement vent pipe and regulator from the manufacturer or amazon, or look at your nearest garage sale and scavenge an old pressure cooker for parts. I just pulled apart the valve on my pressure cooker and found the vent pipe was threaded 1/4 NPT, I'm pretty sure it was a sears model but which one I couldn't tell you as I got it at a yard sale for three bucks a year ago.

Combine that with this sanke keg fermenter conversion and you're set to go. Instead of the hose barb, press the vent pipe into one of the holes in the bung. You may have to jimmy rig a way to get a gas line to it to transfer under pressure, but as the vent pipe resembles a hose barb without the ridges, a simple pipe clamp should suffice long enough to transfer.

Ok, you don't get a fancy gauge to tell you exactly what the pressure is, but so long as the vent pipe is vertical, you should be venting CO2 at or near 15psi. Thanks federal safety regulations!

They have them on ebay for around $5 w/ free shipping.

Nice find guys. Even with a spunding valve I would want a secondary escape route for too much pressure and think these will be a nice addition to a vessel. Free shipping on ebay is a much better deal than the $99.95 from Rakuten.

I believe that Prestige safety valve works by temperature rather than pressure, and is a one-time use item (like a fuse), so it's unsuitable for use as a spunding valve:

The safety valve on a pressure cooker is a plug made of alloy and a soft rubber gasket. In the event that too much pressure builds up inside the cooker, the alloy melts and allows steam to escape, keeping the pressure cooker from exploding. Once the alloy has melted, you have to replace the valve before you can use the pressure cooker again. Some manufactures suggest that you routinely replace the safety release valve on the cooker every six months.

Read more : http://www.ehow.com/how_7760519_replace-valve-pressure-cooker.html

Back