CPVC for blow off

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buffman

Reaction score
Tired of dealing with rigid tubing and sick of trying to clean the inside of my blow off tubing, I'm considering making a rigid blow-off. My plan is, from the carboy: 1" ID vinyl hose (3-4") to a 90-degree CPVC elbow to several inches of straight pipe to another elbow and more straight pipe down into water/sanitizer. I'd use slip joints and no glue so the pieces will be easy to disassemble and clean. My only concern (and not a big one) is that the slip joints may not be tight enough to keep out contaminants. Assembling the unit while its damp with sanitizer may be adequate. Anyone use a system like this?

Thanks, Blender. Your picture is actually what got me thinking about a new system. Instead of a stopper, though, I'm planning to use a short length of large ID tubing to link the PVC and carboy (mine are glass).

I think bacteria/wild yeast/etc. would be pretty hard pressed to enter an unglued pvc joint, go up the tubing, then back down into the beer, especially in sufficient quantity to cause an infection. (They don't have legs.) Maybe just wrap some sanitized tinfoil around the PVC joints to add another layer of protection, but I personally don't see the point. I think this setup looks great as is!

Thanks, Blender. Your picture is actually what got me thinking about a new system. Instead of a stopper, though, I'm planning to use a short length of large ID tubing to link the PVC and carboy (mine are glass).
When mine is attached to my glass carboy I remove the stopper. The Better Bottle has a larger opening so I need the stopper.It works great, you never have to worry about blown airlocks.

I think bacteria/wild yeast/etc. would be pretty hard pressed to enter an unglued pvc joint, go up the tubing, then back down into the beer, especially in sufficient quantity to cause an infection. (They don't have legs.) ...

But they may have pseudopods, cilia, and flagella... ;)

Back