Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Kettles, Mash Tuns, & Hot Liquor Tanks > sight glass material

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-18-2008, 10:47 PM   #1
ddroukas
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default sight glass material

I've added a sight glass to my boil keggle; my concern, however, is if the material I used will melt under high temp. The sight glass I ordered from Northernbrewer back in the day for my HLT appeared to be a cut racking cane, so I did the same with my DIY boil keggle sight glass. The HLT one has held up fine but has only seen temps around 190°F at max.

Am I correct that the NB sight glass is the same material as a generic racking cane, and can they stand boiling temps in the installed compression fitting arrangement?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2008, 01:06 AM   #2
sigmund
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddroukas View Post
I've added a sight glass to my boil keggle; my concern, however, is if the material I used will melt under high temp. The sight glass I ordered from Northernbrewer back in the day for my HLT appeared to be a cut racking cane, so I did the same with my DIY boil keggle sight glass. The HLT one has held up fine but has only seen temps around 190°F at max.

Am I correct that the NB sight glass is the same material as a generic racking cane, and can they stand boiling temps in the installed compression fitting arrangement?
I do know my generic racking cane melted when I used it to siphon hot wort.

Burkey Street Brewery

Old 05-19-2008, 03:06 PM   #3
DIY Brewing Company
Recipes 

The material is not the same. You need to get borosilicate glass or polycarbonate plastic.

Quick Reply