Drilling a hole in my 40 QT aluminum brew pot

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave46382

Reaction score
Yes, there were a few 'oh ****' moments....

The instructions said use a friend, so I used a wit and a chardonay

P1010844.JPG

1/8 inch pilot hole ... oh no.

P1010847.JPG

$18 step bit (work perfect)

P1010848.JPG

Lubricated hole (that sounds dirty)

P1010849.JPG

finished hole

P1010850.JPG

bulkhead installed

P1010851.JPG

outside done

P1010853.JPG

inside with pickup/dip tube

P1010855.JPG

I guess I can brew this weekend.

P1010856.JPG

:rockin:

Projects like this always make me nervous but its a great feeling when they're done. You only get one shot to get it right. Nice work!!

Projects like this always make me nervous but its a great feeling when there done. You only get one shot to get it right. Nice work!!

Yeah, I am not too mechanically inclined and I have a crappy drill, too.

This was going to make or break me for brewing this weekend as this is/was really my only decent brew pot.... a 40 qt Sam's Club special...

I'm finishing up my CPVC manifold in my MLT tonight and if time permits, drilling two holes in an aluminum pot for the HLT.

Any tips for getting that pilot hole started?

What did you use for lubricant? KY?

Those ones he used are. Get a Harbor Freight deal for $18 bucks. Great idea for those of us who wouldn't normally use one other than 3-5 hols for brewing.

I'm about to do this on my brew pot and wanted to confirm something on your setup. I understood that the locknut should be on the inside of the pot, with the washers on the outside. At least that's the way I read the install instructions from Bargain Fittings. Did I have that backwards?

It certainly looks like the way you have it setup is working.

Thanks for the help and pictures, nice thread.

Ron

I'm about to do this on my brew pot and wanted to confirm something on your setup. I understood that the locknut should be on the inside of the pot, with the washers on the outside. At least that's the way I read the install instructions from Bargain Fittings. Did I have that backwards?

Ron

Same here, just installed mine with the locknut inside, washer out. Had to tighten it way down (really thinwalled pot) but so far no leaks. Haven't done a boil in it yet. Should I switch it around?

I'm finishing up my CPVC manifold in my MLT tonight and if time permits, drilling two holes in an aluminum pot for the HLT.

Any tips for getting that pilot hole started?

What did you use for lubricant? KY?

I just laid the bits on a piece of paper towel and gave them a few drops of 3 in 1 Oil:

3in1oil.gif

Ron

I see now that I screwed that up. Yes, I believe the washer (and you only get one) goes on the outside.

Mine leaks a little. I would estimate 3 tablespoons over a 8 hour period. Will it get better or worse? I don't know.

Can anyone post a picture or a link to a starter bit? I'm not sure what I'm looking for. I found the step bit. Great post and timing! Thanks.

I used the green dish soap for my three kegs, stainless, finished in thirty minutes! Important to use a cobalt bit for SS. Say Dave your pickup tube inside seems backwards, why is your setup that way?

Say Dave your pickup tube inside seems backwards, why is your setup that way?

My thought was this and you can tell me if it's wrong .... that is my brew kettle... I thought after I chilled I would whirlpool the trub/hops to the center of the pot and then use the pick up tube from the side to drain the wort.

Back