another leaking mash tun

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonp9576

Reaction score
so i got my coleman cooler. you know, the blue one that 90% of the world has.
it can be seen here
Apr10_0003.jpg

i got my conversion fittings from bargain fittings. the guy on here.
i also got my weldless ball valves and sight glasses from him too for my BK and HLT. i am in no way bashing his products. everything else works great except for this one on my mash tun.

it just seems like the o-rings are too small. like they just fit into the hole instead of seal the hole.

if i were to take one of those silicone pot holders or something like that and make a washer the size of the one that came with the unit. do you think that would seal it up.

here is the link to the fitting i bought.
Bargain Fittings

i got the first one under cooler fittings. the big washer on the left (this would be inside the cooler) is what i plan on duplicating in silicone and putting between the washer and the cooler wall.

Flat gaskets work too. If you can pinch the cooler between 2 washers...make washers out of inner tube...
Trace it with a pen and cut with a scissors...Install with food grade silicone sealer and wipe off excess...

good call with the food grade silicone. is food grade stuff at hardware stores?

bobby, good thread. i'll definitely use some of your ideas.

I asked the guy at our local hardware store about food grade silicone...They only had one kind...
Clear...Maybe 5oz for $5...Enough to do 20 coolers...

Is this a drilled out hole or did you use the stock hole?

Thanks and sorry you had problems with the cooler.

Email me if you can't get it to work.

Thanks,
Wayne
Bargainfittings.com

Back