Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Other > DIY 2 stage, single pass beer clarity filter on the cheap

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-10-2011, 05:56 AM   #1
Radix
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default DIY 2 stage, single pass beer clarity filter on the cheap

I wanted to share a quick outline of my filtration setup. The total cost including 1 round of filters was $47. I think it’s a better configuration and less expensive than kits sold by the likes of Midwest. I also like this solution over the plate filters which offer less precise filtration.

2x $5.00 A-829D; SP-198 MIP to female pipe bushing 3/4 to 3/8. This is a metal fitting and everything else is plastic. If you can find it I would suggest a plastic fitting as its always better to mate like materials if possible and likely less expensive. Part can be purchased from most big box home improvement stores.

2x $3.16 PL-3026 Watts Quick Connect 3/8 in. x 3/8 in. Plastic Slip x MPT Adapter or $2.96 A-193 Watts 1/4 in. x 3/8 in. Brass Hose Barb x MIP Adapter. I recommend the Watts quick connects over barbs, it simplifies disassembly for cleaning and they have no problem with the very low levels of pressure used in the filtration process. Part can be purchased from most big box home improvement stores.

2x $1.32 Filter (1x 5 Micron for coarse filtering, 1x 1 Micron for finishing). These 1 time use filters can be purchased from many sources but the best value is to buy them in packs of 50 from this seller. If you email them they will split a 50 pack 25 5 micron and 25 1 micron for you. You can skip the finishing filter to save a little money and the results are still great. If you want a finer finishing filter you can also use a .5 micron filter.

2x $5.50 Ball/pin lock liquid post adapter just pickup at your local homebrew supply

1x $17 10” clear reinforced filter housing. It’s important to get a clear housing to see the level of beer in it (housing should be run full) and that the housing has a pressure release valve on top to bleed the co2 out so the beer fully fills the housing. Most kits from homebrew stores do not sell as nice a housing or one with an integrated release valve. I purchased this two pack from the same supplier as the filters and have been very impressed with the quality, far nicer then the Midwest kit. They also sell the housings in the singles. I like the two pack as it enables me to do both stages of filtering in the same pass. You might consider adding a filter housing wrench to your order for $2.50 to get a better seal.

Assembly seems self-explanatory but I can provide instructions. If there is interest I can also provide instructions on how to do the actual filtering.

Here is a photo of an assembled housing

Here is a photo of running both the 5 micron and 1 micron filters in a single pass at only about 4 PSI

Its been a great improvement to my setup. I now just skip secondary fermentation and my beer has a much higher clarity then before. At $2.64 a batch for filters is a clear win and honestly the 1 micron its optional. The 5 micron filter from the first stage comes out looking like it was clearly used where the 1 micron filters come out looking nearly new. I think I will try .5 micron filters in the future.

Anyone else filtering? If so what is your setup? Suggestions?

Old 08-10-2011, 06:34 AM   #2
Cosper123
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Wow that is impressive.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-10-2011, 06:38 AM   #3
itzkramer
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 2

will the .5 micron strip flavor?

Old 08-10-2011, 10:47 AM   #4
HHP
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

How much do you think this will oxidize the beer?

Texas is awesome.

Old 08-10-2011, 12:42 PM   #5
drez77
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

I occasionally use a plate with a medium (7 micron) filter. I have been happy with the results except for the time it takes. I am curious what a .5 micron would do to the beer. What style are you thinking of using that on? This set up does look better than my plate. Do you purge the filters with starsan or something before using?

Thanks for the filter link though, I need one for a Randal and a new one for the brew cart!

Old 08-10-2011, 03:12 PM   #6
wyzazz
Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Very nice!

And I'd like to see my 1.080 beers ready from grain to glass in a week, and served to me by red-headed twin penthouse pets wearing garter belts and fishnet stockings, with Irish accents, calling me "master luv gun," but we can't always get what we want can we? :)

Old 08-10-2011, 03:54 PM   #7
BeerCanuck

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Cool setup Radix
I already have a filter housing and carbon filters that I use to filter water on a brew days. I have never considered using a disposable filter for clarifying beer but it makes sense in this application at that price. I was wondering your experience with the different micron sizes? I have heard that 5 microns might not filter enough and 1 micron strips to much?

Old 08-10-2011, 04:15 PM   #8
moinkyschmoink
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

What does this do to yeasties? Can you still get a bottle carbed up after that? I am guessing you force pressurize in a keg?

Old 08-10-2011, 04:18 PM   #9
IrregularPulse
Hobby Collector
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2798 Times on 2745 Posts
Likes Given: 123

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHP View Post
How much do you think this will oxidize the beer?
Shouldn't oxidize at all. You're pushing with CO2 in a closed system.

I should have stuck to four fingers in Vegas. :o - marubozo

Old 08-10-2011, 04:19 PM   #10
Firebat138
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Very cool... Just like what I have on the house for my salt. Question: Is that between the keg and the TAP, or for FILLING the kegs?

Fermenting:
20 gal Galactic Black IPA, 10 gal Ypers Pale Ale,
10 gal Belgian WitX2, 10 Gal 2 Hearted Clone,10 gal Samhain Pumpkin, 10 gal Green Flash West Coast IPA
10 gal Coffee Stout,10 Gal Raging Beeatch, 10 Gal Hop Head IPA

Quick Reply