New single tier AG build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How did you measure the 28 VAC? It isn't unusual to see a higher voltage from the transformer when there isn't any load on it.

You say you have no power to the gas valve. No power to the Main Valve, Pilot Valve, or both? Are you getting pilot ignition but not main burn?

Which version of the 8610U do you have? A picture may help.

Module failure after "15 hours of use" does sound premature. You say the PID is in on/off mode but how often was it cycling the ignition? That type of module isn't intended for applications that fire frequently.

You could improve things by having the module spark and activate the Pilot Valve at the beginning of the session with a manual on/off switch. Then put the relay of your PID in line between the controller and the Main Valve. That gives all the safety of the controller to shut off the gas if the pilot goes out while reducing the cycle count for the spark circuits.

reynolds5520 said:
How did you measure the 28 VAC? It isn't unusual to see a higher voltage from the transformer when there isn't any load on it. You say you have no power to the gas valve. No power to the Main Valve, Pilot Valve, or both? Are you getting pilot ignition but not main burn? Which version of the 8610U do you have? A picture may help. Module failure after "15 hours of use" does sound premature. You say the PID is in on/off mode but how often was it cycling the ignition? That type of module isn't intended for applications that fire frequently. You could improve things by having the module spark and activate the Pilot Valve at the beginning of the session with a manual on/off switch. Then put the relay of your PID in line between the controller and the Main Valve. That gives all the safety of the controller to shut off the gas if the pilot goes out while reducing the cycle count for the spark circuits.

I measured 28 VAC right from the transformer, no load. I was checking for voltage at the valve, pilot side, when the controller was being commanded to turn on by the PID, i was unable to detect any voltage. The controller i have is an auto spark standing pilot type, on call for heat the pilot is lit then the main valve opens when voltage is read back through the igniter. The cycling throughout the brew session was about three-four times during the mash to maintain temps in my HLT for the HERMS Coil.

I like your idea if I am overusing this type of controller, i have a relay and can install more switches if i have to. What controller should i use that can handle frequent switching?

A hot surface igniter may be a bit better in that only the igniter part has to be replaced when it goes out vs. spark where you have to replace the module. Either way there are parts that eventually fail from cycling.

Three or four cycles an hour shouldn't have been too many though. The controller should handle hundreds of thousands of cycles. I think I saw a spec once that suggested a 300,000 cycle lifetime.

With no load, that transformer may have been OK.

Getting back to your issue though, You have a new 8610U and new pilot assembly, right? And no gas flow, no spark, right?

Have you confirmed the module is connected to both sides of your transformer? (Measured for power at the module between 24 Gnd and 24 V)

Does your version of the 8610U have any Led's?

reynolds5520 said:
A hot surface igniter may be a bit better in that only the igniter part has to be replaced when it goes out vs. spark where you have to replace the module. Either way there are parts that eventually fail from cycling. Three or four cycles an hour shouldn't have been too many though. The controller should handle hundreds of thousands of cycles. I think I saw a spec once that suggested a 300,000 cycle lifetime. With no load, that transformer may have been OK. Getting back to your issue though, You have a new 8610U and new pilot assembly, right? And no gas flow, no spark, right? Have you confirmed the module is connected to both sides of your transformer? (Measured for power at the module between 24 Gnd and 24 V) Does your version of the 8610U have any Led's?

My current module is not working, no spark and no voltage to the the gas valve while it did for the first 4 brew days. Ive ordered a new controller so hopefully I'm just dealing with a faulty part from the manufacture. The old controller did NOT have fault LEDs, the new one should though.

reynolds5520 said:
Ah, now I understand. You're waiting for it to arrive to see whether that fixes the problem. I thought you had the new one and still had trouble...

Yep, as soon as it arrives I'm going to hook it up as I'm brewing on sunday.

I really like your idea of hooking the MV to a relay leaving PV/MV-PV to an on/off switch, switch on the controller fires off the pilot, the pilot will stay on until i turn it off or i run out of propane, the PID can then activate the MV signal.

Okay, i replaced the control unit, sure enough that got me up and running, now my PID is dying a slow death....gerrrr, why am i now starting to regret using LP instead of electric?

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1391456476.549671.jpg

All cleaned up after a 7 hour long brew day, hit all the numbers for a very nice 10 gallon Rye IPA, OG of 1.080. I've brewed about 60 gallons so far, a few growing pains, mainly with using low pressure LP.

I'm using BG-14 burners and kegs for kettles, I'm sure a good quality triclad kettle would perform much better. I'll probably end up using a high pressure burner under the BK and stay with the low pressure for the HLT. My HLT has a HERMS coil and I'd prefer auto temp control for mash recirculating and sparging. With a High pressure burner I can use the BK to heat strike water faster as well as not exhaust the HLT water. Also I found that I need to put bleeders on my Mash pump, especially for five gallon batches, to break the air lock.

Now if I can only stop putting valves on this system, It seems every time I brew I find I need another valve for something. Future upgrades are hard pluming a tip and dump MLT and clean I place system and finally I'll end up with a stainless steal stand and or go insane....not sure what I like better, brewing beer or tinkering with my setup...

A few upgrades to the stand

Bottom drain MLT, new false bottom ordered

Shelf for storage and pump mounting

Second faucet for filling buckets and kettle cleaning

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1393259277.230319.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1393259305.258578.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1393259401.512103.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1393770885.775903.jpg

Sooooo much easier to clean now that I can tip the MLT over. Also notice that I've relocated my pumps as well as rotated the head back to the original direction, I was amazed at how much better the pumps works in this configuration, no priming issues with MUCH higher flow. I would suggest that anyone considering mounting Chugger or March Pumps with the pump head rotated with the inlet facing down to reconsider, further eliminate as may 90 elbows as possible, gradual bends allow better flow with less restrictions.

View attachment 183144

Sooooo much easier to clean now that I can tip the MLT over. Also notice that I've relocated my pumps as well as rotated the head back to the original direction, I was amazed at how much better the pumps works in this configuration, no priming issues with MUCH higher flow. I would suggest that anyone considering mounting Chugger or March Pumps with the pump head rotated with the inlet facing down to reconsider, further eliminate as may 90 elbows as possible, gradual bends allow better flow with less restrictions.

Really that's interesting. Everything I've read has you put the inlet down, outlet up. I do have some challenges with priming though, it's better horizontal??

Really that's interesting. Everything I've read has you put the inlet down, outlet up. I do have some challenges with priming though, it's better horizontal??

I brewed two 5gal batches yesterday, back to back, NO priming issues at all. If you look at the pump head and where the inlet is it makes the most sense to install the pump head horizontally. The impeller in these pumps is rigged, not flexible, they are NOT positive displacement pumps, more like the water pump on an car engine. Give a go to see if it improves in your system.

If you look back at my early posts you will see that I have made a lot of changes, the biggest being a bottom drain mash tun and rotating the pump heads, both mods have been the best and made for a much easy brew day.

I will try that thanks. I recently shortened my hoses so there is no extra and it has helped a lot with priming and controlling the flow more precisely.

Another question, after brew I flush my pumps with my water hose, but when I go to brew again there is gunky water in the pump. And sometimes the pump is stuck and takes a while to start up. How do you get all of the water out of the pumps after brewing?

I will try that thanks. I recently shortened my hoses so there is no extra and it has helped a lot with priming and controlling the flow more precisely.

Another question, after brew I flush my pumps with my water hose, but when I go to brew again there is gunky water in the pump. And sometimes the pump is stuck and takes a while to start up. How do you get all of the water out of the pumps after brewing?

The gunk is likely from the mash and or boil transfer. I've set my system up to have two pumps, one pump is ONLY ever used with clear water, the other is the Mash and wort transfer pump. During clean up I circulate my cleaning solution through the mash/wort pump, then flush with clean water. In the winter time I blow out the pump heads with compressed air after I'm finished with cleanup.

I found out the hard way that any and all sticky liquid needs to be cleaned from the entire brew rig, if not critters and mold is sure to follow.

Back