Automating my propane

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mojotele

Reaction score
Hey guys!

I've been working on a new RIMS type system that is somewhat inspired by the Blichmann Breweasy and Countertop Brutus 20. My system will do 5 gallon batches and be heated by propane.

I have the basic liquid plumbing and electronics working. Now I have to deal with the propane. I'm planning on using the Honeywell gas valve with pilot light and thermocouple.

I have been using a Bayou Classic SP10 (which I believe is basically a BG10 burner with a stand) for a while now, and I was hoping to use it in my new system. But, after doing some research, it appears the heat output will be too low when I switch to the low pressure propane needed by the Honeywell valve. It appears that the BG14 is favored for propane automation.

Ok, that's cool. I was really hoping not to build a stand, though. It appears that the KAB4 burner offered by Bayou is basically just a BG14 with a stand, and that got me excited. However, I'm concerned that there won't be enough room to mount the pilot light properly. Does anyone have any experience with this? If the KAB4 won't cut it, is there a simple stand I could build? It doesn't even have to sit very high. In fact, the stand needs to be 13" or less to sit below my MT.

Is there perhaps anything else I'm missing? I appreciate the help!

There should be room next to the "lugs" where the wind screen mounts to the burner. Or, could sneak somethin up in the inner openings in the burner. Need to switch to a low pressure orifice probably on the burner. Valves are .5 psi.

Todd

So I went ahead and ordered the KAB4 from Amazon. I figured I can just return it if it doesn't work out. I just got it this morning. There isn't quite enough room in the space between the burner and the wind screen. There is, however, just enough room in the open spaces between the "spokes" on the burner, if you know what I mean. Would there be any problems if I somehow positioned the pilot light in one of those spaces?

That should work fine. You'll have to convert that burner to low pressure if you're going to use a has valve like the Honeywell VR8200 or similar.

Todd

Thanks! I think I'm straight with the propane pressure. I purchased the low pressure regulator and orifice from Brewers Hardware. I tested out the burner using just the orifice and regulator and it seemed to work just fine once I adjusted the air intake. A nice blue flame with orange tips.

Just got the pilot light plumbed. No leaks when testing with soapy water, and the flame there looks good too considering it is exposed to the wind. Things seem to be working out!

Thanks again for your help!

Back