AC Thermometer Bypass

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nealperkins

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Guys, I need some help please.

I want to bypass the AC's thermometer and wire a Ranco as a controller. I've done this before with a more simple design but this one???

Please see the following pics and then an observation.

photo%25201%25281%2529.JPG

photo%25205%25281%2529.JPG

photo%25203%25281%2529.JPG

So the temperature probe from the evaporator is fed into the two wire clip on the circuit board. Question: where do I want to wire the Ranco wires? And, do you have any other suggestions?

Thanks!

From my experience, ahem, it varies. You will need to keep the blower motor running or the unit will freeze over.
I used a ranco and all I needed to do was bend some copper wire and shove it in the right spots. This worked until I moved the ranco to my fermentation room and bought a coolbot.

Hi

Is there a wiring diagram on the unit or somewhere on the web? That may shortcut some of the trace out where each where goes stuff.

Bob

Guys, thanks for the responses.

Yes, the Coolbot is neat but another $300. Yikes, this is the gift that keeps giving...

The diagram submitted is my friend's (Steve Jones) and I used it on the 5000 btu unit that is not working. This 12000 unit is different and I'm not very electrical. Here's the only schematic that came with this unit.

https://picasaweb.google.com/nealpe...key=Gv1sRgCIvnys2EsOqe3gE#5755128710505873122
ServiceLogin

Can you figure out where I wire the Ranco?

Thanks!!

I have a Ranco, and the only wiring I needed to do to it was the incoming and outgoing power cords. I just plug my unit into the outgoing cord on the Ranco, and the incoming cord into a wall socket, and it works. Of course, you'll need to eliminate the thermostat on your unit, which will require a schematic to know where to disconnect it. Either that, or move the temperature probe of the unit to the outside of the cooled area. Hope this helps.

Thanks so much.
So, should I disconnect just to make sure the AC 'defaults' to ON and if so, wire up the power? Currently the unit is plugged into a socket. The Ranco must drive a switch??

Back