Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Kegerators and Keezers > Emerson 4.6 to Kegerator

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-08-2010, 04:52 PM   #1
MRT888
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Emerson 4.6 to Kegerator

Anyone ever mod the Emerson 4.6 cubic foot fridge? It's on sale at Target this week and I was planning on getting one. Can't tell if the freezer part is removable or what and looking for some help with how to go about this. Please let me know your thoughts on this fridge!

http://www.target.com/Emerson-Compac...e&frombrowse=1

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-09-2010, 01:52 AM   #2
MRT888
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

So I purchased the fridge but haven't done anything that isnt reversible yet.

I'm trying to figure out the coolant lines- The freezer is divided by a tray that comes out very easily so I assume this means the lines are in the wall and top. Anybody know if coolant lines are in the grooves of the molded plastic on the top? It seems to be a pattern of thin stripes and fat bands on the plastic, and the fatter bands SEEM to sound kind of hollow so I am thinking the thin ones might be lines? They seem like they might be so shallow/ right next to the plastic that I am afraid of cutting through just the plastic to see.... Can anyone help me at all?

I might try the vodka and cornstarch but the top has a plastic coating i don't think will come off....

Old 08-09-2010, 02:02 AM   #3
JetSmooth
Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 10

No ideas on this, but that's a pretty good price.

How are the interior dimensions? Are you going to get two cornies in there side by side if you can get the bottom shelf of the freezer out of the way?

Bottling the Belgian: A Photo Odyssey

Beer is the mind-killer. Beer is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my beer. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see it's path. When the beer has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

Old 08-09-2010, 02:05 AM   #4
MRT888
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Bottom shelf of the freezer come out no problem- It will be tight to get 2 cornies in- I would have to cut off the ledges on the sides for the shelves, and then I think that they would fit slightly staggered.
I was really hoping to do a tower but looking at the "striping" of the molded plastic on the too of the interior I don't know if it is full of lines!

Old 08-11-2010, 01:24 AM   #5
brewcitybrewer
Recipes 

Any news on your progess with the conversion. I just purchased the same fridge and i am unsure how to fit two cornies in there. I even unscrewed the thermostat and light and have it hanging there. Let me know your progress and if you are having any luck. Any tips would be awesome. I am new to kegging and will start as soon as I have a kegerator. I am not too concerned with putting a tower on, I just want to fit the 2 cornies inside.

Old 08-11-2010, 01:33 AM   #6
MRT888
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I am 90% sure that 2 ball locks will fit once I shave off the ledges for shelves on the sides of the fridge

I have started to cut a bit through the top and havent seen any lines yet!
The door panel comes off very easily with lots of small screws under the rubber gasket. I plan on replaceing it with a whiteboard and looking at it I think I will get a needed 1/4 inch "into the door space". i.e. the keg can hang over the edge of the fridge a little and the door will still seal since the gasket is thick.

THis seems to be coming together and for $100 you cant beat the price for a new fridge!
I'll try to keep you posted with the details, trying to finalize which kit from kegconnection to get

Old 08-11-2010, 01:40 AM   #7
brewcitybrewer
Recipes 

So you do not even need to cut the side panels? What do you mean by whiteboard? Is that just a thin piece of wood to hold the rubber in place? What are you doing about the thermostat and light? Thank you for you updates and help with this project.

Old 08-11-2010, 01:51 AM   #8
MRT888
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

sorry by whiteboard I meant Dry erase board. Still deciding between using the board and drilling holes to hold the gasket on, and cutting the door molding out around the gasket and then putting the board in between. I think the latter might support the gasket best? since it was fitted rather customly on the door molding

I am cutting off the shelf ledges from the side panels to make the sides flat , but after that 2 should fit. I'm not sure yet how to seal,/ beautify the sides once i cut off those ledges...

I took off the thermostat piece and disconnected it from the plastic housing (the thermostat dial can be pulled off. The light can also be disconnected, since its pretty useless. right now i have the dial dangling// it would just dangle or sit atop one keg, but i might mount it higher...
hope that helps and let me know your thoughts/ findings too as mine is still a work in progress

Old 08-20-2010, 04:02 PM   #9
brewcitybrewer
Recipes 

Just wanted to know how your progress on the conversion is going. Are you able to put a 5 pound CO2 tank in there with the cornie kegs, or will I need a 2.5 pound tank? How did you seal the sides after you cut off the ledges? Thanks for your help man.

Old 08-20-2010, 06:14 PM   #10
MRT888
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Yeah I was holding off a little b/c my kegs are supposed to be delivered today- but i did start cutting off the side ledges and its going relatively smoothly- It seems to be just like a spray foam insulation into the plastic molding, so is not just hollow plastic you are cutting off, its the plastic filled with insulation. I might try to show some pics if I can figure out how best to upload them (without a premium supporter account.... photobucket?) I actually started after a homebrew or 2 and used an old kitchen paring knife (no dremel available)- incredibly makeshift but surprisingly effective, haha. An exacto knife would probably be a little better, but its definitely not too thick to need machinery if you dont have it. The insulation underneath is a little flaky but pretty sturdy so I'm not worried about it but I plan on covering with white duct tape for cosmetics

But so far I have seen no lines or anything- about to expand the hole in the top but its looking good. Still need to see if I need copper pipe or something to keep the lines cold in the tower

As for the Co2 tank a 5 lb seems to fit well on the ledge- it hangs over a bit but not enough to be unsteady at all and not enough to get in the way of the kegs.

Overall its still looking like a really easy, and cheap project.

Quick Reply