Danby Mini Fridge -> Kegerator = dead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kergnob

Reaction score
I come with little options left too me and I need some insight hopefully into the workings of this refrigerator. I purchased the Danby DAR044a2SLDD about 3 months ago to be from the beginning made into a kegerator. Purchased all the goodies (two tap beer tower, hoses, whatever) and has been working like a champ.

Installed everything and all was fine and dandy. Now two weekends ago I noticed that the compressor wasn't turning on any longer. The compressor never turned on even after letting it not be hooked up to power for days and tried plugging back in to no avail (as an FYI the light is on inside when plugged in, just compressor never starts - no clicking noise, no nothing) During the time leading up to this I was drilling a hole/connection to feed CO2 into the kegerator from the outside to my distributor manifold and to my two kegs (CO2 tank couldn't fit). so there was lots of moving (sliding) it back and forth working on the inside and outside trying to get the hole to work. I may have messed with temp during this time too, I don't remember now.

Anyways with it not working iv checked the continuity of the compressor, it looks to be ok (2 of pins adds up to the 3rd), the start relay is fine (opened it up and is still whole and not rattleing). I checked the Overload switch and it looked like it was never getting to 0 (which to me meant it was open forever and will never feed power to the compressor but i'm probably wrong or if it just needs current it would flip to 0 ohms, iono). Since I thought it was the overload switch I picked up a 3in1 just to see if it was infact that or I missed something, but after hooking it up still nothing.

I didn't think the compressor would go bad so soon (and the temperature wasn't set to super cold so didn't think it would be working hard to break). My last guess is maybe the temperature controller is bad? and maybe not sending current to the compressor?

Help me HBT, you're my only hope

Have you tried shorting out the compressor wire (might be red) with the feed coming into the thermostat? That would tell you if there's a problem with the thermostat. If it is bad, a $15 fix from China (read: stc-1000 or similar) will fix that problem and give you much more accurate results.

Hopefully it is not the compressor, especially after only 3 months of use. I had a Danby wine fridge that had very similar symptoms. The compressor just stopped working, and of course it was right after the warranty ran out. Good luck.

Crap...I bought the exact same fridge as the OP...still working good after a month of use as a kegerator. Hope it's gonna last

HUZZAH! It's back from the dead. Last night I took a look at the thermostat and took it out and tested the connections on it, put it all the way to the minimum and the ohms went to infinity, but when I swing it back the other way to the colder side, it had 0 ohms resistance. So it wasn't the thermostat per se but it was a connection up there that may have gotten loose or something because when on a whim i decided to hook everything all back up (including old parts), the damn thing decided to start working again.

Ya I called up a appliance repairman to bounce ideas off of and he's said that it was essentially the compressor mechanically was broken, even though the electrical that I checked was good. He said since I had checked the starter relay, the cooling controller, then it had to be the compressor. I'm like wait wait cooling controller? The thermostat? He's like ya, if it obviously wasn't turned up it wouldn't pass current. Looking at mine it was set to a point where it SHOULD have been doing that but who the hell knows.

No idea exactly what was wrong but I do know a whole lot more about my fridge then I did when I started! So it should be good @matc

Latest posts

Back