Wax on the Cork

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AriAilin

Reaction score
I searched the whole forum, but nothing came back with a search as generic as 'wax.'

First, I've only ever seen wax on hard liquor like Maker's Mark. Is there any reason it would be harmful to wax over a wine's cork to create the same effect?

If not, what kind of wax to use? When melted, parafin is far too thin to get the nice thick coat and iconic frozen in time drips.

I used to do this with my bottles. No apparent effect, and made them look nice. Just cut around the top to pull the top of it off so it doesn't fall into the glass when pouring. I used this kind of stuff. Bottle Wax Holiday Red 1 lb. : Northern Brewer

Expensive, but it goes a long way. Just melted it on the stove in a dedicated small sauce pan, let cool and can warm it up again for the next batch.

Thanks! I wouldn't have thought of googling bottle wax, so focused on the (muzzle?) and cork I was.

Back