Transfert

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2001SE

Reaction score
When you guys transfer wine from primary to secondary, do you put the hose all the way down in the secondary for the wine to cover the end of the hose. Or you leave it up and bit, againts the side of the secondary. I was wondering, because someone has told me to have the wine cover the end of the hose, you will have less chance of adding oxygen in the wine while transfering. But now someone else told me to leave the hose on the side of the secondary and not letting the wine go over the end of the hose, that way it will help relase co2 from the wine, that way helping in degasing it. Don't know if all of this makes any sense but just tring to figure out the best way of doing this!

It depends on how much the wine splashes if it can fall out of the hose. Since I'm a beer brewer, and thus mortified when it comes to potential oxidation, I prefer to rack very gently, then use a drill mounted whip to degas in a more controlled manner.
This doesn't foam up the wine at all like 'rough racking' could...and that sets my mind at ease.

In the end though, its really about what works and gives good results. If i were to try racking and degassing at the same time, I'd do it on a small batch, nothing expensive.

Back