Sweet fruity strawberry

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

huntingohio

Reaction score
SWMBO has sent me on a mission. She wasnts a brew made From strawberries thats very sweet carbonated and 8-10% abv

Could you all help me out?
With details or links to a brew log preferably

Have you considered a strawberry melomel (mead)? If you want a sweet and carbonated drink you will have to use lactose or splenda to sweeten then bottle carb. Or you can stabilize, sweeten, and then keg.

I made a strawberry melomel, and let me tell you that strawberries are a tad tricky. I used 12lbs honey in a 6gal batch. Next time I would use 12-15 in a 5 gal batch. I also put half strawberries in primary and half in secondary. I think I'd put all 12 lbs in secondary and maybe even more strawberries in general next time.

If you wife likes berries may I suggest raspberry. They carry a stronger taste. If you want to go cheap you can even buy concentrates that are raspberry flavored and maybe even put some berries in secondary. Might be good!

Sorry not much for specifics there, and I haven't done much wine. Didn't find much for strawberry wine in our recipe section.

If you use an Island Mist kit, the result is VERY tasty, but it's also low alcohol (~6%). You can add extra fermentables, or add two handles (3L) of 80 proof alcohol to it if you want it at the 10% ABV level.

Carbonating it? You have two options:
1) a bottling fermentation in a pressure-rated bottle (i.e., not wine bottles). Champagne bottles can be capped with a beer capper, but you need special caps and make sure your capper can use them. They can also be corked and caged, but you need a special corker and special corks.
2) put it in a keg under gas. If you don't already have a keg, this is the expensive option. ;)

lol keep giving me more reasons to get a keg swmbo is thinking i need on anyway [god i love this worman].

maybe the melomel since i do cysers anyway, do you have a brewlog or recipie link?

Well to be honest I was not wholly satisfied with my recipe, but here is basically what mine was.

12lbs wildflower honey
5 gal h20
12lbs strawberries
nutrient/energizer
pectic enzyme
1tsp acid blend

Fermented 12 lbs of honey with 8lbs strawberries. (nutrient additions/oxygenating/etc)
Rack to secondary.
Top up with mead.
4lbs strawberries
campden/sorbate
acid blend/sweeten

Again would probably add more honey. Closer to 4 gal h20 and 15 lbs honey. I would also wait on adding any strawberries until secondary. Not sure if it'd do any good, but I wonder if it'd be beneficial to even add strawberries after a cold crash and campden/sorbate. Wouldn't hurt I guess.

Strawberries end up tasting "thin" all by themselves, IMO. I think adding another juice to it would help it out a bit. Kiwi, maybe. Or pear. Even rhubarb might be good.

Either that or you could brown the honey for more non-fermentables in the mix.

Just my $.02 :)

You can cook honey. You heat it up so that it essentially carmelizes (Maillard reaction).

Some things to note:

Do it outside, it is a huge gosh-darned mess. Total mess.

Don't scorch it. Brown honey = good. Black honey = not so good.

Any type of honey (clover, orangeblossom, jasmine) will lose its volatiles, so all honey will taste pretty much the same after it's been browned. Don't buy the $25/lb stuff to brown it -- get the crappy stuff that Starbucks leaves out for the tea drinkers. ;)

So, to wrap up: heat the CHEAPEST honey you can find, OUTSIDE, have a spray water bottle handy for boilovers, and really, really, REALLY be careful of spatter and burns. And don't burn down your house.

Im unsure of the rules on posting links to other sites here but I know of a good site but all the recipes are in 1 gallon batches but the math is easy. Used a mead recipe from it and it was really good. PM me if you want the site or if its ok to post I will post it here too.

my Strawberry mead has become a favorite in these parts. I cant make enough to keep locals happy. For body I add Zante Currents. and add a f-pac at end. Mead does not de gas easy and I have been able to maintain the fizz by cold crashing to clear without degassing. I don't do recipes just use standard mead recipe. Sorry about the no recipe thing but I never do things the same twice so I never write them down

strawberry... anything really, seems like it would lend itself to carbonation (all the recipes ive found ferment fairly dry). anyone here have experience with that? also, they say for a simple "strawberry wine" to just use "sugar" for your fermentables... i've never used sugar for more than 5-10% of my must tops, so what kind of sugar would people recommend for this purpose?

i know im a new poster so for reference I've been brewing beer for 3 years now, I've done one mead, (dry, with camomile and ~7% cider) and I have a sweeter, oaked mead and braggot both in secondary, so im not new to this, just wanted to hammer down the details.

Back