Starting Gravity Issues

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DGag453

Reaction score
I just brewed my first mead. I have only made beer in the past, so my experience using fruit has been limited.

For this wine, I followed the recipe found on page 121 of the Joy of Home Winemaking. This was a recipe for 1 gallon of strawberry mead. I used/8 2 gallons of clove honey, and 4 pounds of ripe strawberries.

I cleaned and destemmed the strawberries, then put then into a nylon bag and thoroughly mashed them by hand in the bottom of the fermentor. I boiled the honey into about 7/8 gallons of water, then poured the still hot water over top of the strawberries. I stirred everything up very thoroughly with a spoon. After adding the chemicals, I let everything sit for about 36 hours before pitching the yeast.

Right before pitching the yeast, I took a gravity reading at 66 degrees F. I was really surprised to find what I would consider a ridiculously low SG of 1.060.

I am trying to figure out how I could have ended up with such a low SG. The honey alone, according to Palmer's How to Brew, should have added 38 ppg per pound, for a total closer to 1.080.

Any ideas? I had a couple of thoughts, but none of them seem like a full explanation:

First, the mashed strawberries added a lot of liquid volume so the total was closer to 1.25 gallons. However, I would assume all the sugar in the stawberries would, if nothing else, at least prevent any total decrease in the SG.

Second, I didn't stir immediately before taking SG reading. However, I stirred vigorously at least 3 times in the previous 36 hours and am positive the honey was fully dissolved.

Third, could the floating bits of fruit have had some effect?

Honestly, I was expecting a SG closer to 1.100-120. I am baffled by my low reading. What gives?

Strawberries don't have a tone of sugar in them so if there was a lot of strawberry juice that will reduce you SG. As to the solids in the mix if they effect the reading it is in the opposite direction solids tend to increase the sg throwing off the accuracy of the reading.

I used/8 2 gallons of clove honey, and 4 pounds of ripe strawberries....... I boiled the honey into about 7/8 gallons of water..........the mashed strawberries added a lot of liquid volume so the total was closer to 1.25 gallons. ?

How much honey did you add????

Four lbs of strawberries only contain about 4 oz of sugar, but they also contain more than a quart of water. Strawberry juice has a gravity somewhere around 1.028, so they could actually lower your gravity due to the increased volume.

Did you use a one gallon batch size when you calculated the 1.080 gavity? The larger 1.25 gallon batch size might also contribute to your measured OG being lower.

You are using an older book. Very few meadmakers boil honey these days.

Back