Question on Apfelwein?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drew_101

Reaction score
I tried to search through all the pages and couldn't find it so I just thought I would ask. I am planning on making a batch and was wondering I have a 6.5 gal BB and I didn't know if I could do just a 5 gal batch b/c of all the headspace room. What does everybody think, should I go for it or do a 6 gal batch? If so how much more corn sugar to use for 6 gal? Thanks

Headspace is not a problem, carbon dioxide from fermentation will quickly displace the air in the better bottle. (They max out at 6 gallons BTW, not 6.5.) Personally though, I'd just make a 6 gallon batch! Add an extra .4 lbs of dextrose...the amounts are not super critical though, I would just eyeball half of a 1lb bag.

I have one Question to add.
Why do I keep getting suckback on my 1G carboy of apfelwein?
I do have temp issues in the house. but have had suckback 3 times now it is in week 2.

1. It's plastic and you're touching it
2. It's as you said, cold/heat contracting/expanding (would only really happen if fermentation is completed, which would be odd at 2 weeks since mine is still off-gassing or fermenting at 30+ days....unless you have ungodly bad temp swings...)

Either way, Solution = 3 bubble air lock. Don't fill more than up to 1 bubble on each side and suckback = impossible

I also made a 5g batch in a 6.5 gallon carboy, I didn't realize till 2 weeks later that I could of done a 6.45g (lol, right to the brim almost) batch and been fine and didn't feel like driving to the not so local LHBS to get more corn sugar. (gonna just buy 5 lb next time, bought a scale)

OK more details...

1 Gal Glass Carboy.
3 piece airlock W/Vodka
no clue about if fermentation is done.(first brew thats not Mr.Beer)
Temp Change >10 Deg F( heater on fritz)

I pulled the inner piece to reset the level and am hoping that fixes that.

I just did a 5 1/2 gal batch of apfelwien in a 6.5 carboy, came out fine. used 2 lbs of corn sugar and 1 pk of yeast

Back