New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Persimmon wine

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2012, 05:33 AM   #11
mrbeachroach
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WKU_Doc_D
It If you are familiar with persimmon, a fruit sack would not have caught this. I left it in primary for about 8 days because of how vigorous it was, then racked to this carboy
What your are looking at in the pic included is persimmon brandy/wine in the 5 gallon carbon and persimmon wine in the gallon bottles ( the one that looks like lemonade), they were both started on 10-3-12 and they were racked for the first time 2 days ago. I used a nylon/ or mesh bag and strained the crap out of it. Worked perfectly. I was actually surprised at how clear it already is. My brandy style wine is very good. Fg is at 12.84 abv.

Ingredients from my uncle on brandy style

4 oranges
4 lemons both sliced like a tomato with peel on
4lbs raisins
12 lbs sugar
4 quarts persimmons
3 gallons water
Yeast of your choosing
I used high gravity yeast, and another with mono red and later combined batches as I saw no difference in taste at racking
Then the usual additives pectic, yeast nutrient ect.

As for my persimmon wine just made up the recipe

4quarts persimmons
3lbs white grapes
3 gallons water
Champain yeast I think,
And 10 lbs sugar
And the usual additives.

So far taste ok, but a little early to tell, does smell slightly funky. So I splashed racked it. Will keep you all posted.

image-2107341132.jpg

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2012, 03:40 AM   #12
BoomerCreek
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Last year I mad a back of the cabinet cyser on a rainy night. It was made of about 7 lbs of dried persimmons and the water required to steep them, 8 oz of honey and a quarter gallon of honey crisp apple juice. I sliced up and cooked the dried persimmons in 2 gallons of water at 160 degrees F for 1.5 hours. It poured off to about 3/4 of a gallon of dark orange brown liquid. I heated up the honey and added it then topped a 1 gallon bottle with the apple juice. During fermentation it did the same thing as yours and cleared to a beautiful dark orange on the top and a large mass of fine sediment on the bottom. I allowed it to ferment to dryness and racked it to another gallon jug and topped off with apple juice. Secondary for 6 months then to bottle. Even after secondary there was a fine sediment in the bottom inch of the jug. Needless to say I only was able to bottle 5 19 oz bottles from it. Bottle primed with brown a bit of brown sugar. It turned out to be a fantastic beverage with a flavor like a citrus hopped wheat beer in the end. I never took a gravity reading but it felt to be in the 8% range of so. I also don't recall what type of yeast I used. It was likely and ale yeast. Good luck!

Boomer Creek Cider Co.

"They speak of my drinking but they never think of my thirst." -Scottish Proverb

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply