Mustang grapes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Waterguy79

Reaction score
Making my first wine ever. My parents make wine from their peach orchard and blackberry vines in CA. I spent a Saturday picking mustang grapes from the sides of old country roads here in central TX. Let me tell you, when folks told me they were acidic, they weren't kidding. The juice will sting the skin.

I've read that people suggest using rubber gloves because of that. But the wine you can make is worth it.

Kdog22 said:
I've read that people suggest using rubber gloves because of that. But the wine you can make is worth it.

That's a great idea for a name I'm going to call the wine "Totally Worth It" wine. Lol. Thanks.

That's great you just gave me an idea for the name of the wine "totally worth it" wine. My mom's an artist and makes labels. I'll have to commission her for the label. I'll pay her in wine.

My mother in law was picking grapes on the back of their property to add to our bounty and got chiggers all up and down her legs. I wonder if she'll like the name?

OK! I'm responding to myself now, but hopefully it helps someone out. I racked the wine this evening through 2 very fine mesh screens and was surprised at how little particulates were caught. I have some Super-Kleer that I had planned to add but I don't think I need it. I tasted the musk to make sure I didn't make vinegar. Uber good. I can tell it was slightly watered down but in hoping a few months in the bottle will meld(not blend) well.

It's resting in Camden for the next 48 hours. I racked it over to my primary beer bucket and as I write this I watched the airlock burn. Texas grape last stand I guess. You gotta respect the mustang!!!!

Latest posts

Back