Jacking vs hydrometer readings?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

T_Baggins

Reaction score
I guess I'll start by saying I believe a hydrometer reading shows the available amount of sugar in the must? Does this explain why jacked wines show very little or no change in reading? I had 3 gals of strawberry rhino fart, I whipped it etc and can't get the smell out. A bit of the strawberry aroma has returned, but the fart still lingers. I decided to jack it to see if freezing would squeeze the SO2 out of the mix. I think all it has done is concentrate the strawberry but hasn't relieved the nasty gas!?? Anyway, for sh!ts n giggles I took a hydrometer reading at the correct temp and it still indicates that ABV is only around 13.5% ... my vinometer says roughly the same 14% ... these reading are the same as before and after jacking. I removed roughly 50% of the water...what gives here?
Is ABV near double original readings....are the new readings meaningless?

Nobody knows what "jacked" means...at least relating to wine.
Freezing and allowing water content to be left as ice whilst mostly alcohol is recovered ... can't say as fact, but I believe it's a cider-maker thing, from most of what I've read, although have heard of mead and wine jacking before. Not worth the effort, personally, I enjoy my beverages as fermented :)

I was thinking more along the line "illegial" and not up for diskushion. Because of corse nun of us have ever done anything illiagel and would not know the answer to your question....

Sent from my iPod touch using Home Brew

Rhino farts are quite common, and if you are patient they will work themselves out with time. If you freeze concentrate a smelly liquid, the concentrate will have it too. There is a reason copper distilling units are used to make fuel, is the copper will stop the production of rhino farts at the ion level.
The end.

I was thinking more along the line "illegial" and not up for diskushion. Because of corse nun of us have ever done anything illiagel and would not know the answer to your question....

It's not a federal crime anyway...it goes state by state.

no it doesn't, it makes it legal in some states and not legal n others, so take it or leave it. This is NOT a discussion of legality of freeze concentration. It's a question of technical degree about the effectiveness of hydrometer readings before and after freezing. So if you know the answer to my original Q, please let me know. If you want to debate legal issues, please go away.

Freeze concentration is legal in almost all of the US, same as homebrewing and we don't limit discussion of it here. Some people make things like apple jack, while others make Eisbock- but it's ok to do in the US.

I just don't have any experience with it, as it doesn't interest me.

Back