Is Homewine worth it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cheesefood

Reaction score
I've had Homewine before, and it was OK. Isn't Wine just one of those things that you're better off paying top dollar for good stuff? I get homebeer since it doesn't take a lot of time to make a good beer. Since good wine takes years-to-decades to finish, what's the merit of homewine?

Absolutely not... I had some of the port that the guy who runs the local homebrew shop makes and I was absolutely blown away. It was GOOD. In fact, it is probably the only port that I have really liked.

Now sure, you are going to want to be more patient... you don't make it for now, you make it for a year from now to several years from now... so that is why you need to get started NOW.

But yes... the stuff I have tried as homebrew I was very impressed with. Very very impressed with.

After my venture into homebrewing, I bought my mother a gift cert for the local Brew on Premises so she could make wine. Absolutely blown away by the quality of the stuff. In fact it's better than quite a few of the reds coming out of the Hudson Valley. There are some nicely made homemade wines out there as other friends have proved...but some equally nasty ones as well.

I'm making some. On the premis that it's not going to be a show winner, If it's drinkable it'll save me having to nip to the shop every time I want a glass or two of wine. If it does turn out good, that's a bonus. I was lucky enough to get a Larsens 30 bottle kit off ebay for £4.00 so at less than 15p a bottle I'll be happy.

That was what I thought, just wasn't sure I wanted to believe it... is New York actually known for decent wine?

I mean I know that the Columbia Valley area is (Wa. State), I have often heard it listed as one of the 5 best places in the world... I know that some areas in California produce a decent wine but beyond that I didn't know of any other place in the US as being known for it, so I am not grasping the Hudson comparison.

There are quite a few wineries in the Finger Lakes region (east of Niagara Falls) that I hear are really worth checking out. I know they produce some prize-winning whites, but not suer about the quality of the reds. Because NY is trying to expand the distribution of their wineries' products out of state, there are numerous news items on the web talking about the region's wineries.

It's hard to think about making wine when I can enjoy Two Buck Chuck any time I want it without denting my wallet.

Just kidding (although it's not bad wine). I'll try it some day. Perhaps I should make some on the day my kid is born so we can drink it together on his/her 21st birthday.

Cheesefood said:
Perhaps I should make some on the day my kid is born so we can drink it together on his/her 21st birthday.

That's a nice idea, You don't normally have to wait that long though! I'm sure a 'Chateau Cheesefood' could be produced to a drinkable standard before that. But it's something to do if you have space and then bottle and forget. You don't need to produce Gallons and Gallons of the stuff in one go. Just a gallon here and there in between beers will put a few down for next year. Get a feel for the stuff you like and then go bigger if it works out

Cheesefood said:
Perhaps I should make some on the day my kid is born so we can drink it together on his/her 21st birthday.

I forgot to mention on that day you won't have time! you should be too busy at the hospital! :D

Back