Fruit Fly in Fermentor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Quadrupled

Reaction score
I decided to check on a Welch's peach/white grape wine that I started about two months ago and found a fruit fly floating on top this evening. Based on my experience with beer brewing, this is potentially quite detrimental.

At the moment, there is no vinegar odor and the sample I pulled tasted fine. If it's going to turn to vinegar, does anybody have a rough estimate for how long I should wait before I can safely bottle?

Thanks in advance.

I'd love an answer to this one also. I have had bees and other bugs get in nd everybody acted like no big deal. I notice people freak out over fruit flies and I have no idea why.

Fruit flies carry acetic acid bacteria. This bacteria can cause wine to turn into vinegar. I don't know if one fruit fly will be enough; I suspect that it wouldn't be. If the wine is done fermenting, it might be worth it to give it a dose of potassium metabisulfite? Maybe someone can chime in and confirm if this would be a good course of action.

If you used camden (so2) bacteria shouldn't be a problem. If you think the level isn't high enough, bump it up.

Honestly, I found a gaggle of fruit flies in a wine once. The wine turned out fine. RDWHAH

Back