First wine kit, but a little confused

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ckabealo

Reaction score
I made my first wine kit on Friday, it's an island mist. But the air lock stopped burping last night and even this morning I haven't heard/seen it burp. Is that normal after such a short amount of time? The starting Gravity was 1.050 and it's in a large empty closet at 75 degrees but drops to around 72 at night.

Thank you

I made my first wine kit on Friday, it's an island mist. But the air lock stopped burping last night and even this morning I haven't heard/seen it burp. Is that normal after such a short amount of time? The starting Gravity was 1.050 and it's in a large empty closet at 75 degrees but drops to around 72 at night.

Thank you

Dont go by the burps, go by SG.
Starting SG was 1.050, what is it now?
As the level of sugar in the must decreases, so does the visible fermentation. The only way to really know if it is done or still fermenting is by using a hydrometer and taking readings.
3 days at a SG will indicate a stuck fermentation. If below 1.000 for more than 3 days you are done!

Yes, that's typical for those kits especially if it's above 70 degrees. The directions for those kits are good, and the kit is guaranteed if the instructions are followed, so don't worry and just follow the directions and it will be fine!

P.S. you dont need an airlock when primary fermenting. Just cover the opening with something to keep any critters or airborne floaters out.

Back