Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > First Time wine - Quick Blackberry

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-21-2009, 05:15 AM   #11
yeastluvr
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

don know how much flavor you'l get out of blueberries for wine? But it could be great too. I like the sounds of strawberry. You could probably get by leaving these in the ferment a lot longer as you dont have to worry as much about the seeds causing tannins and bitterness.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2009, 04:16 PM   #12
Brewkowski
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Well, I guess the laws of supply and demand determined that I will be making a Blueberry wine, the store had not a single package of frozen Blackberries, but the coolers were stuffed with blueberries. So they either don't stock them or they ran out. So this is where I'm at

10 lbs. Frozen Blueberries
2 lbs Fresh Blackberries (I thought to add a little acidity and some tannins)
32oz Blueberry juice
Added 1.25 gal of water
After stirring and crushing by hand as best I could, SG is 1.030 @ 50 degrees without any added sugar

I'd like to make something between 11%-13% ABV, is there a method for calculating how much sugar to add to get to a certain gravity, I think I would need to get the gravity around 1.10 to start?

--I just did a calculator and it was in Brix and it said to go from 7.84B(1.030 SG) to 34B (1.15) for about 4 gal of must I need to add 9 lbs of sugar, so like some recipes on here have said, about 2 lbs per gallon.

Old 11-22-2009, 03:44 AM   #13
outdoorsmadness
Recipes 

if you start off at 1.10 it want be a quick blackberry, itll take at least 8 to 9 months for it to tastes good. the higher the alchol the longer itll have to age i would stert off at about 1.080 and itll probaly be good in about5 months.

Old 11-22-2009, 03:36 PM   #14
Brewkowski
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

I tried scaling it back from the 9 lbs and only used 8, but that still put me up at 1.122 OG. After 12 hours I started to see a little airlock activity, but nothing big yet, so I'm thinking I can wait 5 days or so before transferring to secondary?

Old 11-30-2009, 06:04 PM   #15
Dos_Locos_Brewery
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

That's a monstrous OG - enough to make a > 17% wine if it ferments dry. Most likely, it won't be something you like for a long time. I think outdoorsmadness is right - better to hit the lower end of the OG range for a quicker, more accessible wine.

You started out right - mixed the must to get the starting point (1.030 in your case). After that, it would be better to add sugar incrementally to hit a target OG rather than adding a prescribed amount of sugar. The effect of sugar on SG is completely predictable. For your 3.5 gal. volume, each lb. of sugar will raise the SG by about 0.013. So ~4 lbs. would have been the amount to get you in the ~1.080 ballpark.

As for when to transfer to the secondary, that should be dictated more by the state of the ferment than time, although if you are concerned about the tannins from the blackberry seeds, that might speed up your timetable.

Old 11-30-2009, 09:12 PM   #16
Brewkowski
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Well, just transferred it yesterday into a secondary. There was still significant airlock activity and the gravity is only down to 1.072 after a week of fermenting at around 60 degrees. Does this seem like a good progression? Is there any real gauge for estimating how well fermentation is going as far as gravity change in a given time period at a certain temperature? I'm nervous the wine will stall out and I'll be stuck with fruit syrup.
After pulling the must off the fruit it looks like I have around 4 gallons or so. I think the yeast is good up to around 14% and it seems like I'm going to have every bit of that and leave a little residual sugar. So this is definitely going to be a next Christmas wine I'm guessing?

Old 11-30-2009, 10:20 PM   #17
Dos_Locos_Brewery
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Going from 1.122 -> 1.072, and still active at 1 week is a good sign that the yeast is up to the task. I'll bet it's going to be a good wine, but perhaps for Christmas, 2010.

Old 12-02-2009, 02:11 AM   #18
Brewkowski
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

11 days in fermentation and it's still bopping along with about one bubble every 6 seconds or so. The little yeast that could! I was almost hoping it would poop out so I wouldn't have to wait a year to drink it.

Old 12-02-2009, 08:43 PM   #19
Dos_Locos_Brewery
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Waiting? That's what beer is for... Seriously, though, having the yeast poop out is usually a bad thing (there are some exceptions). Stressed yeast can leave bad flavors, so it's usually better to control the ferment with the amount of fermentables.

Old 12-03-2009, 08:55 PM   #20
Brewkowski
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dos_Locos_Brewery View Post
Waiting? That's what beer is for... Seriously, though, having the yeast poop out is usually a bad thing (there are some exceptions). Stressed yeast can leave bad flavors, so it's usually better to control the ferment with the amount of fermentables.
Good point indeed, I guess I'll have to bide my time some tasty homebrews.

You don't want to taste wine during fermentation right? If I did a reading and it drops down to a gravity that I think is about where I would backsweeten to, would I be able to add sorbate at that point rather than waiting to go full ferment and adding sugars? Any idea what kind of gravity I'm looking at for a level of sweetness similar to a riesling spatlese?

Quick Reply