*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Filtered vs tap water?
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-12-2012, 11:20 PM   #1
Nwa-brewing
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Bentonville, AR
Posts: 138
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Default Filtered vs tap water?

I know... I ask a lot of questions and want to start with saying thank you!!!

Is there an advantage to using filtered/bottled water over just tap?

__________________
Nwa-brewing is offline
calmingapple Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2012, 11:30 PM   #2
novalou
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 600
Liked 36 Times on 35 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nwa-brewing
I know... I ask a lot of questions and want to start with saying thank you!!!

Is there an advantage to using filtered/bottled water over just tap?
If you have non-chlorinated good quality tap water, it will work too. I typically use bottled spring water because my water is chlorinated.
__________________
novalou is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2012, 11:38 PM   #3
brewguyver
Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
brewguyver's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 1,112
Liked 130 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Default

I just use tap water - the beers I made with the 5 gal bottled spring water just didn't turn out the way I wanted. If you're doing light beers you may need to use bottled plus some additives.

Simple rule of thumb for new brewers - if your water tastes good out of the tap, you can probably brew with it. If it has off flavors (metallic, chlorine flavor, etc), so will your beer.

__________________

Brewguyver - the man who does everything wrong so you won't have to!

brewguyver is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2012, 12:45 AM   #4
Nwa-brewing
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Bentonville, AR
Posts: 138
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Default

Makes sense! Was about to say what tap water isn't clorinated!

__________________
Nwa-brewing is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2012, 01:17 AM   #5
novalou
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 600
Liked 36 Times on 35 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nwa-brewing
Makes sense! Was about to say what tap water isn't clorinated!
Maybe if you have good quality well water.
__________________
novalou is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2012, 01:30 AM   #6
300RUM
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: North East, MD
Posts: 109
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default

My well water has alot of iron but if I filter it, it is really good brewing water.

Why not filter it only cost a couple bucks and you can dry it and reuse it?

__________________
300RUM is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2012, 01:57 AM   #7
Nwa-brewing
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Bentonville, AR
Posts: 138
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 300RUM
My well water has alot of iron but if I filter it, it is really good brewing water.

Why not filter it only cost a couple bucks and you can dry it and reuse it?
What kind of filtration?
__________________
Nwa-brewing is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2012, 02:05 AM   #8
300RUM
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: North East, MD
Posts: 109
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default

I use this Water filter housing, then the purple under sink filters

__________________
300RUM is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2012, 02:10 AM   #9
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
Golddiggie's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Between here and there, and everywhere
Posts: 12,058
Liked 477 Times on 420 Posts
Likes Given: 266

Default

I've filtered my drinking/cooking water forever. Towns I've lived in have always had something in the water we/I didn't want to drink/consume. IF I can smell any kind of chlorine in the water, I won't drink it or cook with it.

Best way to know what's in the water, if you're unsure about filtering, is to get a lab to analyze it. I believe Ward Labs does it for most brewers/homebrewers.

BTW, with what can get into the drinking water, even by accident, I think it's smart to have at least some kind of filtration system in place. You can usually get something really good/great for under $200. I picked up a new system when I moved to the new place that filters down to the .2 micron level. My previous system, that produced great brews, only went to the .5 micron level.

__________________
Hopping Tango Brewery

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine
Golddiggie is offline
springmom Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2012, 02:13 AM   #10
300RUM
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: North East, MD
Posts: 109
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golddiggie View Post
I've filtered my drinking/cooking water forever. Towns I've lived in have always had something in the water we/I didn't want to drink/consume. IF I can smell any kind of chlorine in the water, I won't drink it or cook with it.

Best way to know what's in the water, if you're unsure about filtering, is to get a lab to analyze it. I believe Ward Labs does it for most brewers/homebrewers.

BTW, with what can get into the drinking water, even by accident, I think it's smart to have at least some kind of filtration system in place. You can usually get something really good/great for under $200. I picked up a new system when I moved to the new place that filters down to the .2 micron level. My previous system, that produced great brews, only went to the .5 micron level.
I think the filters I use are .5 micron
__________________
300RUM is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply



Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Filtered water or no. hukdizzle Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 20 12-18-2008 08:50 PM
filtered water joejaz Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 5 10-16-2007 01:51 AM
Filtered water or tap? bbriscoe Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 15 09-12-2007 01:31 AM
Filtered water derath Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 2 06-29-2007 08:20 PM
Filtered vs Non-Filtered water quality report megavites All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 6 05-24-2007 03:30 PM