Crazy violent fermentation..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wild-grapes

Reaction score
I started a new batch of wine yesterday. I relocated my set up to a little warmer location and it apparently really did the trick. Earlier I had noticed wine getting into my airlock. So I syphoned a little off to get a bit more head room. I thought it had did the trick, but I woke up to quit a mess. During the night things really start fermenting. Walked into my room to find my airlock and bung lying on the ground about 6ft from my card boy with sticky grape juice and black berries all over the place.

What a mess to wake up to; especially while have the flu to boot. Below is a pic after the clean up and my quick invent to hand the large amount of gas being produce from this batch. Hopefully this is a good sign of thing to come. Just hoping nothing was contaminated during clean up.

Anyone else ever experience a blow out like this one?

Sent from my DROID4 using Home Brew mobile app

1391459742588.jpg

It can sure make I mess. I have a pumpkin wine in fermenter right now (3 days old) that is fermenting violently. When you open it up it's like there's 3 or 4 aquarium bubbles going and the extra oxygen creates instant foam. I'm still a bit worried about it bubbling over as the foam has been within an inch of the lid (not much room for error with 25lbs of fruit in the batch). I moved it into a bit cooler room (17 degrees down to around 15 degrees) hoping to slow it down a touch but it doesn't seem to be letting up. The only more active wine I've made was a peach, pretty sure the floor is still sticky in that corner.

I had a blowout on one of my first batches. I put cherries and cherry juice into a relatively high OG apple cider. Note: I put most of my juice in secondary now.

Regardless, Boom goes the dynamite.

Back