bottling question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skagneti

Reaction score
I have some apfelwein in the basement bubbling away and wanted to know if it is going to be a problem to bottle it in wine bottles with #7 corks that I have. I was planning on bottling half flat and half carbed...particularly worried about the carbed ones. Anyone know if I am going to have issues.

YES DON'T DO IT...

Let me explain then you consider it again....

1. Bottles breaking - wine bottles are not designed for preasure, as a result you could have bottle bombs, but
2. cork force outs - since you are using corks and not caps, it is more likely your corks will be forced out and then you will still lose the apfelwein and have a mess (but no broken glass). - this one happened on an unintentionally carbonated one... I think it wasn't quite finished, there was + CO2 was in suspension. I lost 1 bottle (out of 4) it also wasn't in my mind particuarly good a wine.

Somewhere on this site is a discussion of the presure you can put on bottles with champagne maxing glass at 6 atmospheres[atm] (about 90spi), beer I think was 4atm and wine bottles were a cautious 2atm or less.. I don't know what plastic goes to.

The rule of thumb is this, if you scrounge a bottle or similar from use and it had carbonation in it, it should be good to get carbonated. If not don't. I'd put my (intentionally) carbonated in beer or champagne, depending on the psi.

Latest posts

Back