Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Acid Testing Question...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-29-2007, 02:44 AM   #1
woog11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Acid Testing Question...

I have a acid test kit. vinometer acidometer. I add the wine up to a measured mark of"0". then i titrate with some blue indicator until i get to a end point. This tells me my acidity.
i only get a small amount of this blue indicator, and i live 80 miles from a dealer.
I was wondering if i could dilute the wine with water, or distilled water by 50% to use half of the blue indicator, then multiply my end result by 2 for my acidity.
I hope this is clear enough to understand , i'm running late for work, gotta run. All info will be greatly appreciated as always. crushing grapes tomorrow. I'll check back about 10am in the morn. skip in ar...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-29-2007, 02:48 AM   #2
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 604 Times on 374 Posts
Likes Given: 54

Someone else is gonna know the answer for sure, but I'm pretty sure that acidity is measured on a logarithmic scale, so a factor of two may not be entirely correct when diluting the solution by 50%.

One of the chemistry-smart guys here will get you a more definitive answer.

Old 08-30-2007, 03:35 AM   #3
woog11
Recipes 

Thanks for the reply Yuri. I went ahead and used 100& must juice since this is a white. I think i can mayyyyybe go 50% when i make the red wines so i can see the end points a little better, not really sure.
Maybe i can learn more about this soon, possibly experiment a little when i get more "blue indicator". Ok thanks so much for the help, see ya soon. Skip in AR...

Quick Reply