First biab, last min prep questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ryoko

Reaction score
Hi all, Making the move from Partial extract to a biab. Plan to brew this weekend. My recipe is: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f63/pottsville-common-yeungling-lager-attempt-165157/ Using the one from the op not the modified ones further in that thread.

I'm curious why there is a 90 min boil. Most times I see it around an hour. What does the longer boil time do? Maybe I'm confusing mash time with this... is it still called mash time for biab?

Are there any alterations I should make to adjust a typical all grain recipe to biab?

Anyway my plan was a 90 min "mash" as 153-154 degrees, followed by a boil of 60 - 90 min based on the advice I get from all of you with much more experience than me.

Thank you in advance
Ry

I think the boil time is based on the amount of wort collected to get it down to 5 gallons and hit your OG.

Like Mike said, you're boiling down to an amount. There are loads of brewing software and such that would allow you to adjust recipes to your liking.

I just made the leap from partial mash to all-grain and my first brew day was a comedy of errors. Everything eventually worked out, but I took away a lot of lessons from that brew day. Expect to do the same. The biggest lesson I learned, have your all your gear ready.

The 90 minute boil is likely to hit your volume and gravity like said above, but it may also be to get rid of DMS. I think the wiki on DMS on here recommends a 90 minute boil to guarantee its removal from your beer, though I think most people agree that with a 60 minute boil you don't get any of the "canned corn" flavor sits associated with.

Thanks everyone. I used a demo version of a calculator and think I have everything set for brewday :)
The biggest lesson I learned, have your all your gear ready.

A good point, I'll make sure to have everything ready :)

+1 on DMS for 90 minute boil. Especially if there's Pilsner Malt. I hear it produces more DMS than other malts. Go BIAB!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Home Brew mobile app

Latest posts

Back