Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Sake Forum > Making Traditional rice Wine. Cheap, Fun, and Different

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-24-2013, 08:38 PM   #461
pabloj13
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 90 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 109

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadedev View Post
No, I am still fermenting it. Its only been 6 days. My first time brewing

Rather odd that it was clear for 5 days and on the 6th it went all cloudy. Also notice the rice is getting more compact and no more air bubbles in between the rice.

The container is air tight, too much CO2?
You don't want air-tight.

Kegged Two Hearted, Dragonmead Final Absolution
Bottled Robust porter, Founder's Breakfast Stout, Ommegawd Hellepin, Ed Wort's Apfelwein
RIP Snake Dog IPA, Biermuncher's OktoberFAST, Falconer's Flight IPA, Two-Hearted clone (Culturing Bell's Yeast), Noberon wheat, Skeeter Pee using dry yeast, Smooth Oatmeal Stout

Simple and easy wort aeration - Harvest yeast from your blowoff - Homebrew Spicy Mustard

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2013, 08:59 PM   #462
saramc
Recipes 

Liked 146 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:

No, I am still fermenting it. Its only been 6 days. My first time brewing

Rather odd that it was clear for 5 days and on the 6th it went all cloudy. Also notice the rice is getting more compact and no more air bubbles in between the rice.

The container is air tight, too much CO2?
Oh the compacting plus change in transparency is fine. The amylase will help clear things. What temp are you fermenting at, not brewing by the way? Though I did not ferment under airlock at all. I believe some did with no issues.

Motto: quel che sara sara

Old 01-24-2013, 11:53 PM   #463
pabloj13
Recipes 

Liked 90 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 109

Quote:
Originally Posted by saramc View Post
Oh the compacting plus change in transparency is fine. The amylase will help clear things. What temp are you fermenting at, not brewing by the way? Though I did not ferment under airlock at all. I believe some did with no issues.
Airlock, maybe. Air tight? Eesh.

Kegged Two Hearted, Dragonmead Final Absolution
Bottled Robust porter, Founder's Breakfast Stout, Ommegawd Hellepin, Ed Wort's Apfelwein
RIP Snake Dog IPA, Biermuncher's OktoberFAST, Falconer's Flight IPA, Two-Hearted clone (Culturing Bell's Yeast), Noberon wheat, Skeeter Pee using dry yeast, Smooth Oatmeal Stout

Simple and easy wort aeration - Harvest yeast from your blowoff - Homebrew Spicy Mustard

Old 01-25-2013, 12:18 AM   #464
jadedev
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerdivore View Post
day 15.

There was now a sweet boozy aroma coming from the jar. The rice had separated into a floating mass that looks like cheese curds, and a layer of fine sediment on the bottom, with yellowish liquid in
Wow....my brew is just like this after 6 days. I am in the tropics, it;s hot all year around, day and night.

82 to 93 Fahrenheit

yeast working too hard????

The rice is breaking up and turning into a fine powder in the bottom of the jar

BTW, I read somewhere, after cooking the rice in the rice cooker, wash the rice with clean water to loosen them. Wet rice make more wine???

UPDATE:

Damn, shop has run out of yeast ball. I am thinking if I should mix my remaining 2 balls to 2 pounds of rice. Ferment for 3 days, then add the mesh to 4 pounds of new rice, repeat until I have 40 pounds of rice.

Old 01-25-2013, 05:41 AM   #465
cpesko
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 21

has anyone tried eating early during fermentation?

Old 01-25-2013, 09:31 AM   #466
kevinstan
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpesko
I ate some after about a week when I first tasted the wine itself. It was good, a little strange tangy taste with alcohol, but I couldn't get past the texture. After that I left it to ferment for the next 3 weeks then drank.

Old 01-25-2013, 12:23 PM   #467
saramc
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpesko View Post
Three to five days was quite nice for fermented rice consumption, beyond that the texture got me but I am thinking combining with a bit of fresh steamed rice would be great.

Old 01-25-2013, 12:44 PM   #468
saramc
Recipes 

Quote:

Damn, shop has run out of yeast ball. I am thinking if I should mix my remaining 2 balls to 2 pounds of rice. Ferment for 3 days, then add the mash to 4 pounds of new rice, repeat until I have 40 pounds of rice.
The issues I see may be:
1. The the lack of amylase which is contributed by the composition of the yeast ball. If you have access to amylase I would simply add to the recipe at the dose recommended on the container.
2. Typically this ferment is stopped between Day 21 and 30. If you are trying to incorporate 40# dry but cooked rice by adding in 4# increments every three days it will take 30 days just to use all the rice. How long after the final addition are you planning to allow to ferment?
3. I honestly do not think 2 yeast balls will sustain 40# of rice...especially at a tropic temperature. Very stressed yeast considering the recommendation by many is 10gm yeast ball per 0.55kg(a tad over 1 lb) dry rice. May be worth it to incorporate yeast nutrient. But, we will not know for sure unless you give it a try. Keep us posted!

Old 01-25-2013, 02:35 PM   #469
Pastorken
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Well, here's my first finished batch. 4 cups of sushi rice and 3 yeast balls yielded 1.5 liters. A little less after some tasting and a second filtering. It definitely has a yeasty smell but the taste is good. Plain but strong alcohol flavor. Not nearly as sweet as the cheap sake I usually buy.
Is there a way to back sweeten this like with a dry cider? Any suggestions would be helpful.

image-2854130656.jpg   image-1229859993.jpg  

Old 01-25-2013, 02:40 PM   #470
sonofgrok
n00basaurus
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 242 Times on 176 Posts
Likes Given: 111

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pastorken View Post
Well, here's my first finished batch. 4 cups of sushi rice and 3 yeast balls yielded 1.5 liters. A little less after some tasting and a second filtering. It definitely has a yeasty smell but the taste is good. Plain but strong alcohol flavor. Not nearly as sweet as the cheap sake I usually buy.
Is there a way to back sweeten this like with a dry cider? Any suggestions would be helpful.
My guess is that you lost some sweetness in your filtering. You can definitely back sweeten. I flavor and sweeten mine with fresh squeezed berry juice right into it at bottling. If you are concerned about additional fermentation I would imagine you could pasteurize then back sweeten as well.

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." ~Ernest Hemingway

Quick Reply