Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Sake Forum > Making Traditional rice Wine. Cheap, Fun, and Different

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-10-2012, 04:33 PM   #231
saramc
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 146 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinstan View Post
Sara: I would love to see some pictures of the final product after it was strained to clear. This is something I will be trying also. I would like to see how clear you go it. Also interested in more detail of how you did it and what type of mesh you used.
I used these fine mesh jelly straining bags that have elastic built into the top, perhaps gallon capacity. I think I got a pack of three from eBay last year. Of course I have them in larger volume without the elastic.

Motto: quel che sara sara

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2012, 05:06 PM   #232
kevinstan
Recipes 

Sara: do you by chance have any pictures that show how it cleared after straining ?

Old 12-10-2012, 05:07 PM   #233
bottlebomber
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2673 Times on 2079 Posts
Likes Given: 328

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakeslad
can i use anything other than the yeast balls? ive looked here in the uk and they cost a fortune nearly £20 a bag around $40
You should try finding koji-kin spores. That sucks that you don't have the balls available. In your case you may try researching how to cultivate your own koji rice. That is a ridiculous price for these.

Old 12-10-2012, 05:09 PM   #234
bottlebomber
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2673 Times on 2079 Posts
Likes Given: 328

Quote:
Originally Posted by saramc

I used these fine mesh jelly straining bags that have elastic built into the top, perhaps gallon capacity. I think I got a pack of three from eBay last year. Of course I have them in larger volume without the elastic.
I've gotten those before, probably from the same vendor. They are very similar to paint strainer bags, only with elastic tops. Based on the price difference I would go with the paint strainer bags.

Old 12-10-2012, 08:21 PM   #235
saramc
Recipes 

Liked 146 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottlebomber View Post

I've gotten those before, probably from the same vendor. They are very similar to paint strainer bags, only with elastic tops. Based on the price difference I would go with the paint strainer bags.
The paint straining bags tend to break down, at least the ones I have seen.

Motto: quel che sara sara

Old 12-10-2012, 08:31 PM   #236
MichaelBrock
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 28

I have been using the same paint straining bag for dry-hopping and straining wort for over a year without any sign of wear at all. Not even stained and all I do is give it a good rinsing in hot water between uses. And the paint straining bags I use have the elastic band around the opening. I bought them at Lowes. It may very well be that some break down, but mine haven't and they were cheap.

Edited to add: I have been tracking this thread since it started but have not yet been able to find the yeast balls locally. So far I have tried three Asian stores (one predominately Korean, one Chinese, and one "fusion") and no one working at any of them has had any idea what I was talking about. I may give up and pay the premium of ordering them online.

Old 12-10-2012, 11:48 PM   #237
brussum
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Well, I've got fuzzy rice. I there a bad mold color? Mine is definitely white and fuzzy, which I assume is koji. There are also grayish mold spots concentrated where the yeast is visible. Normal? Smells good, so it probably is good.

image-831474207.jpg

Old 12-11-2012, 02:16 AM   #238
kevinstan
Recipes 

The mold scares me a bit. Waiting to see how this turns out. How is every one else harvesting from the mold ? Or straining from it ?

Old 12-11-2012, 03:38 AM   #239
cincydave
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Started my first batch a week ago and everything seems to be working. Liquid is forming, smells fine, etc. Here is a link to making fermented rice, which i believe is the same process, but you eat the rice in earlier stage of process instead of letting it go to wine. This article indicates if mold forms to toss it out.

I'm no expert here, just learning, but thought I'd pass the info along.

http://carolynjphillips.blogspot.com...nted-rice.html

Old 12-11-2012, 04:27 AM   #240
sonofgrok
n00basaurus
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 251 Times on 183 Posts
Likes Given: 121

Quote:
Originally Posted by brussum View Post
Well, I've got fuzzy rice. I there a bad mold color? Mine is definitely white and fuzzy, which I assume is koji. There are also grayish mold spots concentrated where the yeast is visible. Normal? Smells good, so it probably is good.
Looks good to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinstan View Post
The mold scares me a bit. Waiting to see how this turns out. How is every one else harvesting from the mold ? Or straining from it ?
Just strain out the liquid. You will be fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincydave View Post
Started my first batch a week ago and everything seems to be working. Liquid is forming, smells fine, etc. Here is a link to making fermented rice, which i believe is the same process, but you eat the rice in earlier stage of process instead of letting it go to wine. This article indicates if mold forms to toss it out.

I'm no expert here, just learning, but thought I'd pass the info along.

http://carolynjphillips.blogspot.com...nted-rice.html
The fungi is going to happen. If you DON'T have any spores then you are probably in more trouble. The Koji spores are what break down the rice so the yeast can eat it up. I am just guessing that sometimes they are easier to see than others.

Everyone need to RDWHAHBRW...
Relax dude while having a home brew rice wine?

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." ~Ernest Hemingway

Unferth Likes This 

Quick Reply