Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Automated Brewing Forum > Standalone, Plug and Play Raspberry Pi Headless Brewstand Controller-Server

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-16-2013, 05:23 AM   #91
crane
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhizardHat
Hey y'all
I'm just enamored. I'm going to get started on this and try to follow along. I'm a mechanical engineer by trade, and have some Python experience, so hopefully I won't get too far underwater. But I digress, I actually have a question for you.

Brewman!, you mentioned that you're using this relay board to control your burners and pumps. Can that thing handle the 240V of a standard water heater element? I know you're going to be using gas in your system, but I guess I'll be doing an e-RPi-HERMS. I know some of the non-automated electrical systems use big, expensive SSRs for controlling elements. If this works, it would drastically reduce the cost of an automated electric system. If this is a dumb question, feel free to say so.

Awesome discussion, and Cheers!
That relay board can handle 250V but only at 10A. If you plan on running a 4500W or 5500W element like most of us use then it won't be able to handle that much current. These draw 18.75 and 23 amps respectively.

Now onto the next problem. Regular relays like this are not robust enough to handle the extremely high amount of cycling that you will throw at it for this type of application. That is why you need an SSR instead of a normal relay.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2013, 07:00 AM   #92
wdevauld
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhizardHat View Post
Can that thing handle the 240V of a standard water heater element?
Depends on the Wattage of your element. I have a 5500 Watt element @ 240 volts. Which is 5500 / 240 = 22.92 amps, over twice what that board can handle. If you had a 2000W element. It. Would be fine as long as you don't switch it on and off two fast with the relay.

40 amp solid state relays can be had off eBay for $15. That is really what you'd want because the constant switching of an electric system will wear out a latching relay.

Old 01-16-2013, 01:02 PM   #93
helibrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 192 Times on 172 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhizardHat View Post
Hey y'all
I'm just enamored. I'm going to get started on this and try to follow along. I'm a mechanical engineer by trade, and have some Python experience, so hopefully I won't get too far underwater. But I digress, I actually have a question for you.

Brewman!, you mentioned that you're using this relay board to control your burners and pumps. Can that thing handle the 240V of a standard water heater element? I know you're going to be using gas in your system, but I guess I'll be doing an e-RPi-HERMS. I know some of the non-automated electrical systems use big, expensive SSRs for controlling elements. If this works, it would drastically reduce the cost of an automated electric system. If this is a dumb question, feel free to say so.

Awesome discussion, and Cheers!
These are great for using in control panels and the price isn't bad: 40A DIN Mount SSR

Primary:
Brite Tank/Lagering:
Kegged: Hefeweizen, Chocolate Hazelnut Porter, Kumquat Saison, Tart Cherry Cider, Belgian Tripel, Maibock Bock, Ommegang Abbey Ale Clone, Belgian Golden Strong, German Pils (WLP830)
Bottled: Belgian Quad (Grand Reserve), Derangement (Belgian Dark Strong)
On Deck:
My Site: www.restlesscellars.com

Old 01-25-2013, 07:42 PM   #94
WhizardHat
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by helibrewer View Post
These are great for using in control panels and the price isn't bad: 40A DIN Mount SSR
That looks good. So how would you hook that up? GPIO to Relay to heating element? Then control on/off through the RPi? Still learning, bear with me

Old 01-25-2013, 07:53 PM   #95
wdevauld
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Unfortunately the rPi only pushed 3 volts on the gpio pins and this relay needs 5V to trigger. You will need a 5v supply, probably the same driving you pi, and then a transistor that is turned on by the pi to allow 5v to go to the relay. If you have an extension board that supplies 5 v you can hook it directly to the relay.

Am I making sense?

Old 02-28-2013, 04:00 PM   #96
EZCyclone
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Subed

Just hittin rocks with hammers, it's how we do it.
~~~~
Galactic Geonauts Brewing Co.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Galactic-Geonauts-Brewing-Co/415171608577265?fref=ts
Come say hi on Facebook and "like" the effort!

In fermentors: 8 batches of beer and 3 batches of wine
In Bottles: Chocolate Stout, Hoppy Wheat Amber, Tripple IPA, Red Beer, Malty Goodness, Heffe, Cider

Old 02-28-2013, 04:31 PM   #97
brewman !
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Update.

We bought a house and I'm up to my eyeballs in alligators with renovating it. And we are having a baby in July. Its going to be a while until I get back to working on this project.

Its great to see other people working on it though.

I'll jump back in as soon as I get time.

Getting back into brewing...

Old 03-01-2013, 11:07 AM   #98
mirogster
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 8

@brewman Congratulations!! Focus on family.
We'll carry on !!

Old 03-06-2013, 07:15 PM   #99
bornholtz
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Several temp sensors

I'd like to join this discussion. I'm a web developer by trade so that part comes easy. The hardware stuff baffles me a bit.

I've ready through the "Raspberry Pi made easy" [1] thread and see how to wire up one temperature sensor.

How does the wiring diagram differ if I want to hook several temperature sensors? With my current rig I want to start with at least 6 but can see up to 12 to 14 when we have a monster brew session.

For the time being, I'm only interested in logging the data. I can pull the data out of any log format at a later time with relative ease.

[1] - http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/rasp...4/#post4752020

Old 03-07-2013, 03:07 AM   #100
bneal
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

bornholtz,

Below is the wiring diagram for multiple DS18B20's. With the onewire sensors, you can run 3 wires and insert a sensor wherever along the length and then continue the wires to the next sensor. If you are using a breadboard to prototype, you can just plug in an additional sensor in the same rows as the first sensor and modify your code to scan multiples to test.

Hope that clears things up a little.

Quick Reply