New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Automated Brewing Forum > Real Time Clock?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-20-2012, 02:42 PM   #11
crane
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMc0724
How would that work? Just log the events, then what happens at restart?
I was thinking of making it behave like one of those fancy thermal chambers like we have at work. They have the ability to program profiles where you can ramp from one temp to another hold it for a certain time and loop between steps. I don't think you would want the arduino to just start a brew session as soon as you turn it on. I would think you would want it to sit idle until you tell it to go in which case it could prompt you to enter what step in to profile you want it to start on. That is how all the Thermotron thermal chambers I have used work. You could even have the ability to enter an offset so that you can start x number of minutes into step number y.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-21-2012, 04:32 AM   #12
crane
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMc0724
I'm thinking that the battery backup would be for the Arduino and possibly the RTC to keep track of where the process stopped, how long it's off, and then allow an intelligent restart.
if you have a battery backup for the arduino how do you plan to seamlessly switch between the battery backup and your power supply? The RTC chips I have used do this internal to the chip. You simply connect your Battery to the Vbat pin and the power rail to the VDD pin and it will switch over to the battery once VDD falls below a certain threshold. I don't think the arduino has this functionality but i still haven't gotten around to busting out my mega and playing with it so I don't know. You could implement this with FETs but you will need to write FW to monitor the VDD rail to know when you lost power and when it comes back on again. You would also need to have enough bulk capacitance to make sure the arduino doesn't brown out as you switch between power sources.

Old 08-23-2012, 04:38 PM   #13
ryan_george
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I use one of these in my Arduino fermentation chamber for datalogging with time stamps:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Arduino-I2C-RTC-DS1307-AT24C32-Real-Time-Clock-Module-For-AVR-ARM-PIC-/170794823401?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27c42a 2ee9

Works great and has its own backup battery!

Quick Reply