The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Automated Brewing Forum > Point to point or wire wrap?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-22-2012, 03:34 PM   #61
carlisle_bob
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 26 Posts

Hi

On a really good wrap, you can feel the welds breaking every 90 degrees as you un-wrap the wire. Admittedly it's a destructive test, but it's a good way to check things out.

Bob

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-22-2012, 04:45 PM   #62
Rbeckett
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 63 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 29

CB,
Just did a few practice wraps on 30 Ga and they are awesome. I destructed them and got a god look at the effect and every where the wrap bent around the edge of the pin it kind of crimped into the wire a bit. Tried to slide the wires up or down and no luck. The gun is pretty fast so it is gonna take a little practice to get the "knack" of it and get really consistent. I am very happy with the results so far. The Ebay deal I picked up had 30+ bits and sleeves so I am going to try some different guages and see how well they do too. I picked em all up for 10 bucks off of Ebay and OK industries gets 40 bucks a pop for em each, so I did good I think. Some of the tips have some wear, but for the money I can afford to tinker with the step and see if I can square it back up with a jewelers file to get the profile back right. Over 1/2 of em were still new in the packing tubes with cosmoline so it will be a while before I have to file or tinker with anything yet. Looks like it was one of those sell everything deals and they were just trying to avoid loading it all in a dumpster. I have a couple of more bids out on some more stuff that will end today and tommorrow, so depending on that outcome I will be well equiped soon I hope. I also found a vendor that was selling the bits new on a card for 6 buck each and I bought all of them too. Just figured I would let ya know it is working well so far.
Bob

What do you mean "no Kidneys"???, WTF now I gotta drink less beer...
Join the Automation sub forum in Electric brewing for a discussion of components and control systems. I did!!!!

Old 07-23-2012, 04:26 PM   #63
carlisle_bob
Recipes 

Hi

The little crimp in the wire is actually a weld (if everything is working). It's a microscopic sized weld, but it is fused metal. Without it, you have the possibility of oxidation on the connection. With low level stuff (like logic) that can be a pain.

Sounds like you done good!

Bob

Old 07-24-2012, 12:26 AM   #64
Rbeckett
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

CB,
I am thrilled. The pins I found arrived today. The appear to be gold plated and have nice sharp square edges. They fit snug in the pre-drilled PCB boards and hold the through hole component leads nicely. It adds an extra step, but improves the overall connectio 100+%. The OK model 21 gun is pretty trick too. I have to get used to it's speed, but that is a function of practice.. I am hoping to hear back from the vendor of the pins because I would love to see what he wants for a couple of thousand or so. I can see using the 100 I got in no time at all on a complex board or anthing very large.
WCB

Join the Automation sub forum in Electric brewing for a discussion of components and control systems. I did!!!!

Old 07-25-2012, 11:58 AM   #65
Rbeckett
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

CB,
Check this out. Got both for way cheap with bits and sleeves.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/350582015585...84.m1439.l2649

Figure I will set one at 30 Gaa, one at 22-24 and one at 20 and call it good. Yeah, I know I am addicted to this stuff as bad as I am addicted to home brewing too. Sooner or later I will have an automated control system for the three tier I am assembling in my shop. Been too hot for me to play in the shop lately, but it is getting cooler in the evenings and taking a bit longer to get stupid hot in the AM so I will be back at it again soon.
Bob

Old 07-27-2012, 08:08 PM   #66
carlisle_bob
Recipes 

Hi

Setting up a gun for each gauge is the right way to go. That way you aren't fiddling with stuff all the time. It's a *lot* easier to see the "30 GA" marking sticker on a gun than that little print on the bits...

My Raspbery Pi came in to day and I'm wondering how best to use it. Yes indeed it is an addiction...

Bob

Old 07-28-2012, 01:06 AM   #67
Rbeckett
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Oh yeah, I just can't find a needle big enough for a new microscope yet.... Now that I have three guns, I will color code them and use some cheap Ebay light yo-yo's and hang em over my work area. Then I can just reach up and pull the gun I need down, use it, and let it go back up when I am done. I just got a really good write up on the Rasberry stuff from Design Spark and they have a lot of positive stuff to say about them so far. When I get everything hung up and functioning I'll shoot a pic and post it up. My electronics lab is rapidly becoming a "Dexters Laboratory" look alike. My shop has been going that same way for about 10 years now, so you know it is filled with all kinds of weird and usefull tools of all descriptions and designs. I just can't seem to get enough, theres always something new or neat coming available here or there. Holler at ya later.
Wheelchair Bob

Old 10-14-2012, 12:52 AM   #68
Rbeckett
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quick update!!!
A close freind fabbed me an 17.5X12.0X8.0 electronics enclosure. He made it from 20 Ga cold rolled sheet and spot welded all the corners. He then made a top the fits perfectly and secures down to the lip on the box at all 4 corners. He also installed a rolled edge false bottom to allow the surface components to not protrude through the back of the enclosure. The plan is 2- 60 MM cooling fans, 2 Power supplies (5VDC & 24 VDC), SSR's and PID's. all running through a 40 pin PICMicrochip 16f877A. Gonna have a fairly decent amount of working room for the electronics, electrics, Pneumatics and water controls. Pics to follow soon of the control build out.
Wheelchair Bob

Old 10-14-2012, 01:32 PM   #69
carlisle_bob
Recipes 

Hi

Sounds good!

Now you need to figure out what you are going to use for connectors. D-Sub's are popular, but you need strange cutouts for them. They also aren't great on current rating. CPC from TE / used to be AMP are a relatively cheap alternative. They get you up to some major current capability (likely way more than you need). They also mount in nice round holes.

Of course you probably have a robotic death ray laser there, so weird shaped holes aren't an issue!

Bob

Old 10-14-2012, 03:18 PM   #70
Rbeckett
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

I wish, I had the death ray, but my plasma table will just have to do. I plan to use all round connectors that I picked up off of Ebay. They are keyed and secure with a threaded ring so they will be pretty moisture and vibration resistant. I have a collection of 2, and 3 pin set ups and all sizes of molex and IDC connectors for the internals. Hoping to get started on the box package soon. I will post up some pics as I go. I'm excited to finally start making a little progress again, being ill and down has been a real drag lately, but I have started home dialysis, so I will have more time available to tinker and do some of the projects I have accumulated.
WCB

Quick Reply