Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Automated Brewing Forum > Point to point or wire wrap?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-15-2012, 11:28 PM   #51
carlisle_bob
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 26 Posts

Hi

If you can still get single posts, soldering the part and the post to perf board, then wrapping to the post will work fine. I haven't gone looking for them in a long time...

Bob

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-18-2012, 10:10 PM   #52
Rbeckett
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 66 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 29

CB,
Jackpot!!!!! I found a wire wrapping supplier and they offer every size bit and sleeve for AWG and Metric wire. They also offer multipaks of pins like you suggested ( I ordered a 100 to start with) for use on the perf boards. In case youre interested the company name is OK Industries or Jonard and they are located in New york City. I hunted at great length and they offer electric, pnuematic, manual and hand operated wrap and unwrap tools for a pretty reasonable price. I ordered a pneumatic gun and 3 sets if bits and sleeves to cover 20- 30 Ga wire. The also offer silver plated solid copper core wire at a pretty decent price too. Ebay has the same wire but it is from China so there would be a two week wait for the wire to arrive and I question whether it is really silver from there or not. Just figured that I would let you know that the stuff is still available but you gotta look a little deeper on the web to find it all. Wish me luck!!!! Pic as soon as my inspection scope arrives and I get it figured out and working. 30 Ga is too small to see even with a 2X magnifying glass, you need 5X to see it clearly.( I have poor eyesight in my old age)
Bob

What do you mean "no Kidneys"???, WTF now I gotta drink less beer...
Join the Automation sub forum in Electric brewing for a discussion of components and control systems. I did!!!!

Old 07-19-2012, 01:33 AM   #53
carlisle_bob
Recipes 

Hi

Even with quadrafocals I still need a microscope from time to time....

OK stuff should be perfectly fine. They have been doing wire wrap for a long time. The thing to watch for with the silver wire is tarnish. Don't keep the wire in the kitchen when you are cooking a big batch of tomato soup (or playing with fuming nitric acid...). The plating is pretty thin and the tarnish will essentially dissolve it.

Glad you found a better supplier than you had. I think that 24 ga is probably a reasonable target for wire. For high current, solder something.

Hope it gets there soon!

Bob

Old 07-19-2012, 01:56 AM   #54
Rbeckett
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

CB,
I bid on a few items tha don't end for a few more days, the stuff I got on Buy it now should be here by Monday or Tuesday. I found the machined pins with the solder holes on top to mount the components and the nice sharp square psts for the wraps. I think that will solve most if not all of the issues I had to begin with. I'll let you know how the OK stuff works once it all gets here. Heres my solution to the quad focals: http://www.ebay.com/itm/251096296369...84.m1439.l2649. Those are 20X and have lenses for both eyes. I ordered 2 pairs since they were really cheap and I had to wait to get em...
WCB

Join the Automation sub forum in Electric brewing for a discussion of components and control systems. I did!!!!

Old 07-20-2012, 03:40 PM   #55
carlisle_bob
Recipes 

Hi

If you ever come across one at an affordable price, these are pretty nice:

http://www.visioneng.com/mantis-elit...r-overview.php

A bit big, but nice.

Bob

Old 07-20-2012, 09:19 PM   #56
Rbeckett
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

CB,
That looks like a rich mans toy to me. It's huge too. I would have to clear out 1/2 of my office to use that one. I did find something a little more reasonably priced in a more usable size though. I'm not sure I am willing to put even that much into a viewer though. I'll just have to wait a while till my eyesight gets that bad...
Heres the link to the items I found.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/10X-30X-BINO...item3a7713b60a

Bob

Old 07-21-2012, 01:14 AM   #57
carlisle_bob
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbeckett View Post
CB,
That looks like a rich mans toy to me. It's huge too. I would have to clear out 1/2 of my office to use that one. I did find something a little more reasonably priced in a more usable size though. I'm not sure I am willing to put even that much into a viewer though. I'll just have to wait a while till my eyesight gets that bad...
Heres the link to the items I found.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/10X-30X-BINO...item3a7713b60a

Bob
Hi

The thing is indeed huge. Even at 10 cents on the dollar I couldn't afford one. Of course you never know what might show up in some surplus shop...

Bob

Old 07-21-2012, 11:40 AM   #58
Rbeckett
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Yeah, I have found some really good prices lately on machine tools like lathes and mills. They seem to be appearing more often as the economy drags along. The last one I picked up was just about the price of scrap iron by weight. I cleaned it up and lubed it down and it works nicely for what I do in my little shop. Before I got jacked up I was building a metal fab shop with a CNC plasma cutter, and all manner of metal tools like lathes, mills and wheels. Being a former welder also brings all of that equipment to the mix too. If I ever get well enough I will restart my shop and do a little side work when I feel like.
Bob

Old 07-21-2012, 04:12 PM   #59
carlisle_bob
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbeckett View Post
Yeah, I have found some really good prices lately on machine tools like lathes and mills. They seem to be appearing more often as the economy drags along. The last one I picked up was just about the price of scrap iron by weight. I cleaned it up and lubed it down and it works nicely for what I do in my little shop. Before I got jacked up I was building a metal fab shop with a CNC plasma cutter, and all manner of metal tools like lathes, mills and wheels. Being a former welder also brings all of that equipment to the mix too. If I ever get well enough I will restart my shop and do a little side work when I feel like.
Bob
Hi

All you need to find is one outfit that was doing some sort of assembly with them that's now out of business. They are big enough that I doubt people will be going crazy to get them. You might wait a while until they pop up though...

Bob

Old 07-22-2012, 01:00 AM   #60
Rbeckett
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Electric wire wrap gun and 30+ tips arrived today. Plan to do some experimental wrapping tommorrow after I get the mower going. Promised Momma she could mow this weekend. The dogs will be pleased, they dont like poopin in tall grass.
WCB

Quick Reply

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS