BCS-460 and IPad

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewtime

Reaction score
My 50A panel from www.ebrewsupply.com will be arriving soon. My question is can one use an iPad mini to interface with the BCS. I only have one laptop and do not want to create issues with SWMBO If I have to commandeer it on brew days. Until I get the funds for a dedicated brewery laptop I was wondering if anyone out there uses there iPad. I looked at the brew buddy and the current reviews of it scare me.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

There is a web based interface as well. I don't own one and only spent 10 seconds looking so not to sure if it would be up to your standards.

I use a samsung tab all the time with my BCS. It's opens the same website I use on my computer without an issue. I'm sure it will work fine with an itab. Doesn't everything?

Let us know how it turns out. All you need to do is enter your BCS's IP address and you should see the same webpage you would see on a laptop/desktop.

Good luck!
P

I use a samsung tab all the time with my BCS. It's opens the same website I use on my computer without an issue. I'm sure it will work fine with an itab. Doesn't everything?

Let us know how it turns out. All you need to do is enter your BCS's IP address and you should see the same webpage you would see on a laptop/desktop.

Good luck!
P

My 50A panel is due to arrive this Wednesday I can't wait I was going to do something simple for my first batch to kick the tires so to speak I was thinking on a Kolsch.

An IPAD will not work, nor will a Chrome Book. you need something that will run Java. Go to craiglist and find a cheap lap top. Almost any will will work as you only need a browser like Chrome or Foxfire to work on it and Java. That is the issue with a chrome book, it will not run Java and that is true for IPADs and IPhones.

An IPAD will not work, nor will a Chrome Book. you need something that will run Java. Go to craiglist and find a cheap lap top. Almost any will will work as you only need a browser like Chrome or Foxfire to work on it and Java. That is the issue with a chrome book, it will not run Java and that is true for IPADs and IPhones.

That's not true my understanding that the gauges are JavaScript not Java. You can read the discussion here http://forum.embeddedcc.com/viewtopic.php?t=376&f=10

Have you tried an application called Photon? My wife uses that on her iPhone for flash websites. There are also app's for remote desktop operations such as Splashtop where you can use your desktop browser on your iPad to connect.

Have you tried an application called Photon? My wife uses that on her iPhone for flash websites. There are also app's for remote desktop operations such as Splashtop where you can use your desktop browser on your iPad to connect.

I have not heard of that I will have to check it out thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

You absolutely can use your iPad but will need to access through Safari or another web browser. I use my iPad, iPhone, and Android devices. The web GUI is a little clunky with them because it was designed to be used with a keyboard and mouse not a touchscreen. There is supposed to be a new firmware update coming soon but I have not seen it announced as of yet.

An IPAD will not work, nor will a Chrome Book. you need something that will run Java.

Dude, what the hell are you talking about? The BCS does NOT use Java. It uses Javascript, but every browser supports that.

For those that have not seen the 4.0 preview, the new web UI is much lighter and faster and will be incredibly easier to use on touchscreen devices.

http://forum.embeddedcc.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=2365

Dude, what the hell are you talking about? The BCS does NOT use Java. It uses Javascript, but every browser supports that.

For those that have not seen the 4.0 preview, the new web UI is much lighter and faster and will be incredibly easier to use on touchscreen devices.

http://forum.embeddedcc.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=2365

When will it be released? I'm very curious to see if it stops the webui from crashing on me.

When will it be released? I'm very curious to see if it stops the webui from crashing on me.

No hard date for it yet. There are a few of us that have been running various releases for several months now and we just recently brought several forum users into the beta. I'll post up once they open it up.

You should open a thread regarding your webui issue at the ECC forum (or have you already?). The current UI is very stable and should not be crashing on you. I've given up on IE and FF in favor of Chrome for a lot of things and it is much more stable and renders more sites properly.

No hard date for it yet. There are a few of us that have been running various releases for several months now and we just recently brought several forum users into the beta. I'll post up once they open it up.

You should open a thread regarding your webui issue at the ECC forum (or have you already?). The current UI is very stable and should not be crashing on you. I've given up on IE and FF in favor of Chrome for a lot of things and it is much more stable and renders more sites properly.

I haven't created a thread on the ecc forum but I did email brewershardware about this back when I first bought it. After a few email exchanges I got the response that it isn't a hardware problem. I have tried IE, FF and chrome. Chrome crashes the least. I have tried 3 different computers and a tablet and they all have had this issue. I even went as far as issolating my network so I only had 1 computer, BCS, and router connected and still saw it hang. It doesn't happen too often when brewing when I only access the main control page. It stops responding most when I am configuring processes or if I try to graph a brew day.

I haven't created a thread on the ecc forum but I did email brewershardware about this back when I first bought it. After a few email exchanges I got the response that it isn't a hardware problem. I have tried IE, FF and chrome. Chrome crashes the least. I have tried 3 different computers and a tablet and they all have had this issue. I even went as far as issolating my network so I only had 1 computer, BCS, and router connected and still saw it hang. It doesn't happen too often when brewing when I only access the main control page. It stops responding most when I am configuring processes or if I try to graph a brew day.

Have you tried reflashing it? Do you have any custom javascript or HMI setup? It's definitely not a common problem.

After some cussing I finally was able to connect the BCS to my home network and successfully connected using my iPad with Safari. Ran a HLT strike water process found a few leaks with the sight glass. Next I need to run a boil process to get evaporation rate so I can plug that into BeerSmith. My first beer will be something simple to dial in the process and to get use to a HERMS system.

After some cussing I finally was able to connect the BCS to my home network and successfully connected using my iPad with Safari. Ran a HLT strike water process found a few leaks with the sight glass. Next I need to run a boil process to get evaporation rate so I can plug that into BeerSmith. My first beer will be something simple to dial in the process and to get use to a HERMS system.

That is what I did last week. I just finished my first brew. We'll see if it turned out. I hit my og spot on but jot my final volume. It couldn't get my boil to die down with safari. I would click the button to update the boil element output duty cycle and it wouldn't change. I ended up using chrome to get it to respond. That is the worst part is a browser that is responsive.

That is what I did last week. I just finished my first brew. We'll see if it turned out. I hit my og spot on but jot my final volume. It couldn't get my boil to die down with safari. I would click the button to update the boil element output duty cycle and it wouldn't change. I ended up using chrome to get it to respond. That is the worst part is a browser that is responsive.

I had the same problem tonight I was trying to get it to cycle at 80% but could not get it to do it. Also I had a vigorous boil at 209 and I am at sea level or pretty damn close to Sea Level. I was running it in manual mode

My boil said it was at 193. I am at 7100' so it should be around 198°. Couldn't calibrate it right. I'll have to try again later.

Chrome worked really well with the GUI.

A little knowledge is a dangerous thing. I had assumed that because Apple and Chomebooks do not allow Java, I thought that applied to Java scripts as well. I had tried to connect to my IPhone and it just timed out so I thought it was a “dead” issue. I have now gotten it to work by putting in the full IPAddress including the Port and it connects. There are obviously some issues with the IPhone as your interface (the alarm does not seem to sound). You can use an IPhone, IPAD or Chromebook (I have not tested that as I do not have one), but it will run Java Script so I assume it will work.

I could find nothing in the Wiki about using an IPhone, IPad or Chromebook and any issues with using them. Hopefully someone has tried a Chromebook and can comment.

A little knowledge is a dangerous thing. I had assumed that because Apple and Chomebooks do not allow Java, I thought that applied to Java scripts as well.

Java and Javascript are two completely unrelated programming languages - its really unfortunate that Netscape went with that name. I've heard that they named it that to try and ride the coattails of Java's emerging success and branding, but that might be hearsay. If thats true, it looks like its still working :)

Have you tried reflashing it? Do you have any custom javascript or HMI setup? It's definitely not a common problem.

The BCS came with 3.6.0 FW and I have updated twice to 3.7.0 and 3.7.1 now. The problem has been there throughout each version, but seemed to be the worst with 3.6.0.

I am running custom javascript posted on the ecc forum to add adjustable setpoint and duty cycle to the main control page.

http://forum.embeddedcc.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=777

I have tried disabling it and that appears to have fixed it, but I haven't tested it long enough to be convinced that was the issue. I will create a thread over in the ecc forum to follow up once I have enough data to show this was what was causing it.

Latest posts

Back