Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Brewing Events & Local Gatherings > North East USA > Maine HomeBrew Forum > PMM - Berliner Weisse "Brew"

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-20-2012, 01:45 AM   #1
ChugachBrewing
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 166 Times on 84 Posts

Default PMM - Berliner Weisse "Brew"

Mainiacs - I thought I'd try a thread so as to not spam people with email.

Planning on a Berliner Weisse "brew" since I'm thinking no-boil. 60/40 pils & wheat. Lacto starter for 5 days @90 deg, then mash 150 for a few days, then pitch and ferment. Thoughts?

Check out my new blog brouwerijchuchach for information on fermenting beer, baking bread, pizza, and other experiments.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2012, 03:47 PM   #2
DrNeato
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Just some reading material for those interested in the process and different styles:
http://drinks.seriouseats.com/2012/03/homebrewing-how-to-brew-berliner-weisse-session-beer.html
http://www.themadfermentationist.com/2012/06/100-lactobacillus-berliner-weisse.html
http://anarchylane.com/blog/?p=1442

I plan on doing that last one on my own - as well as contributing to the larger group "brew."

Old 12-20-2012, 05:05 PM   #3
Brewsday
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default subscribing

Just want to be in on news.

Everyone has to walk their own path as a brewer. Each home brewer must consider time, cost, feasibility, and results of their efforts. If a homebrewer can strike a happy balance between those 4 aspects, then they are doing it right regardless of the brewing method.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post

Noone should have to defend themselves about what they want to brew or justify it to anyone... This is supposed to be about having fun. In whatever form it takes.

Don't be a troll about it.

Old 12-20-2012, 06:17 PM   #4
blackkristos
Recipes 

Responding to keep track of this. I'm on board.

Old 12-21-2012, 12:53 AM   #5
WilliamBrewster
Recipes 

Likes Given: 5

Dig it. I can lend no technical input, but am very interested in a share.

Old 12-21-2012, 04:00 PM   #6
DrNeato
Recipes 

How did we want to split up the mash/brew day? I guess a couple of us could head over to Brian's place the Monday before and then we can just hangout on "mash out day"?

Thoughts?

Old 12-21-2012, 04:12 PM   #7
ChugachBrewing
Recipes 

Yes, let's stink up Brian's house. I hear the mash only smells like vomit, occasionally. We'll also (possibly) want to make a lacto starter, which would be a week or so in advance. The trick will be keeping it all warm around 100 deg. Heated pad? Tile heater? Maybe one of these?

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-202930325/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&keyword=floor+warmer&storeId=10051

Check out my new blog brouwerijchuchach for information on fermenting beer, baking bread, pizza, and other experiments.

Old 12-21-2012, 04:18 PM   #8
DrNeato
Recipes 

ha! I figured we'd be using your place only because you've got the massive pot(s).

I wouldn't have a problem having them at my place, mostly b/c they'd be in the basement and I live on the 3rd floor. As far as keeping them warm, I'd just planned on putting it in a cooler with a hot pad cranked up, or just sit it on one on high.

Old 12-21-2012, 04:29 PM   #9
ChugachBrewing
Recipes 

I guess it depends on the interest and whether we can all agree on a recipe/method. I prefer to brew everything as traditional as I can. With all the Berliner Weisse madness on the internet right now, it's hard to read between the lines and find out exactly what the right method is. I still haven't read enough material to really have a concrete idea. I'm more obsessed with lambics at the current time.

Old 12-21-2012, 10:10 PM   #10
SuperBreeze
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I am always down for brewing berlinerweisse, so count me in.

I have made it with a standard mash and a decoction hopped short boil for pasteurization. Both times I used the WL berlinerweisse blend with solid results.

Craig as done a couple turbid/extended mashes so he can probably lend some insight.

Greg

I make beer way faster than I drink it...

Quick Reply