*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Brewing Events & Local Gatherings > South East USA > Alabama HomeBrew Forum > Any homebrewers in Alabama ?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-12-2012, 03:49 AM   #61
KBentley57
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTate37 View Post
Hi all,

I'm surprised to see a section on HBT for a state with antiquated brewing laws.

If brewing were legal in Alabama, I would consider bottle conditioning Midwest's Ferocious IPA and Brooklyn Brew Shop's Cranberry Wheat.
It's also illegal to drive over the speed limit, send white children to black schools (how embarassing..), work for free (still considered slavery), and a whole host of other laws that are so wrong here that they aren't even worth observing. When a state has become this pitiful, I doublt there are any laws that are worth keeping (you all know what i mean.)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2012, 04:22 PM   #62
Whattawort
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 99 Times on 84 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Quote:
Don't worry...I'm a noob too. I've got sic or seven bombers of my first brew, a pale ale, left. I had a string of three 12 oz bottles that tasted a little sour, but the last two I had seemed alright. For a first beer I guess it was okay.

I've done three all grain Brooklyn Brew Shop recipes, but only one is bottled and should be ready in two weeks. I sampled one yesterday and I think it is going to come out pretty good. The others will be done in five our six weeks. I'm only getting eight to ten bottles out of each of these, but I might be able to part with one of each of I don't drink em to fast

I've got a little over a case of Midwest's Ferocious IPA in bottles, but if something doesn't change soon, I wouldn't force my worst enemy to drink it. It's pretty awful.

I'm planning to do a Pliny the Elder clone next weekend. Hopefully it will be successful.

What styles have you brewed?
Pretty much everything but sours. I never acquired a taste for them, and they look putrid while they're fermenting. Do a search for pellicles on here but only do it if you have a strong stomach.
Have to say that going AG was the best move I ever made for beer making. I've only had 1 batch that's disappointed me, but even that was still drinkable. I got my crush and mash/sparge volumes all wrong. Of course, that move took a slight investment in new equipment and considerably more time on brew days. After you get the hang of the brewing process, I highly recommend you move in that direction.
I tried my winter warmer the other day, and it's friggin fantastic already and it's only been in bottles for a week. Also have an Irish Red I did this past weekend for my wife's Christmas party. Nothing says Merry Christmas like a fresh keg of beer!

For what it's worth, I've found that the no-chill method really works for me. I don't really care if my beer is super clear, so chill haze doesn't bother me. Going that route saved me about $100 by not having to buy a wort chiller.

Ok, enough of my prattling on. I can talk about homebrewing all day.

Bottled - Swamp Water Mead
Kegged - Ryerish Red
Fermenting - Plinius Maior

“For a quart of Ale is a dish for a king.”
― William Shakespeare

Old 11-12-2012, 05:02 PM   #63
MTate37
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 104 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I definitely see myself going all-grain a little bit further down the road...maybe six months or so. My first step down that road is ordering my first burner and 11 gallon kettle this week. I want to go ahead and start doing full boils so that my hops are as efficient as they can be.

I've seen mention of the no-chill method before, but haven't read about it until you mentioned it. Sounds like a great idea, especially with the time reduction for chilling. SWMBO will be happier if I can gradually purchase equipment. I don't like to waste water, so if I do eventually get a wort chiller I will also use a pump and ice chest to recirculate cooled water.

Can these cubes be purchased locally? As a kid, I remember my dad having some kind of plastic, collapsable cube like container that we used for drinking water on our sailboat. Is this what they are talking about when they say a cube?

Old 11-12-2012, 05:55 PM   #64
mmcouch
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Don't worry...I'm a noob too. I've got sic or seven bombers of my first brew, a pale ale, left. I had a string of three 12 oz bottles that tasted a little sour, but the last two I had seemed alright. For a first beer I guess it was okay.

I've done three all grain Brooklyn Brew Shop recipes, but only one is bottled and should be ready in two weeks. I sampled one yesterday and I think it is going to come out pretty good. The others will be done in five our six weeks. I'm only getting eight to ten bottles out of each of these, but I might be able to part with one of each of I don't drink em to fast

I've got a little over a case of Midwest's Ferocious IPA in bottles, but if something doesn't change soon, I wouldn't force my worst enemy to drink it. It's pretty awful.

I'm planning to do a Pliny the Elder clone next weekend. Hopefully it will be successful.

What styles have you brewed?
First was Midwest's Autumn Amber. That came out tasting great, but I over-carbed in the bottles, so they have to sit a few minutes after pouring. Second was MW's pumpkin ale. This came out really great. Pumpkin spices weren't too over the top even though I added more than the recipe called for. Also added more pumpkin and steeped with grains instead of boil, so less trub. Third batch, which I just kegged (first time ever) was MW's "happy holiday." Tasted great when racking; can't wait to have some bubbles in it. I'm moving to partial mash next.

Where do folks in bham area refill their co2? I went to Vulcan beverage. It cost ~$22 for a #5 tank. This seems a little pricey to me, but it was my first time filling a tank.

Old 11-12-2012, 06:34 PM   #65
Whattawort
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

I found one one of the cube's on MW at some point. However, I just take my kettle off the burner and put it on the cold concrete and wait. You can do your entire clean up while it cools and then some. I know the plastic fermenters can handle 140F since that's what my water heater is set on and I only use hot water when I wash my equipment. Once my thermometer is showing 140, I transfer my wort into the fermenter and put that in my swamp cooler over night. I'll pitch the next morning. I've done this with dozens of batches without incident. It's also great for lazy people like me.

A refill of CO2 up here is around $22. But you can also lease a tank and exchange it for a new one for a little less. I wanted to own one out right, so I'll deal with the refill price. Remember, you get about 10-12 batches on a single tank depending on your carb rates. My buddy got to almost 20 batches on his last refill. Not sure how he managed that, but it still worked out that way. Also, check out some welding shops. Some have better refill prices.

Kegged - Ryerish Red

― William Shakespeare

Old 11-13-2012, 05:03 PM   #66
ParanoidAndroid
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Anyone in the Birmingham area have a single tier b-stand? I'm about to build and would like some visual aides.

Old 11-28-2012, 09:04 PM   #67
Otterella
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

My husband and I recently started brewing and we're in the Tuscaloosa area (Northport). I'd love to let him out of the house to meet with other home brewers! I have my knitting club, he needs his thing.

Old 11-29-2012, 01:59 AM   #68
Whattawort
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otterella View Post
My husband and I recently started brewing and we're in the Tuscaloosa area (Northport). I'd love to let him out of the house to meet with other home brewers! I have my knitting club, he needs his thing.
I haven't been to T-town since I graduated (02). How sad is that?? Not sure if the Tuscaloosa/Northport area has a club or collection of brewers, but I know a LOT of people do brew there. I got into brewing when I was down there thanks to good ole Mr. Beer. I'm sure someone here knows of a few people you guys could hang with. If nothing else, B'ham isn't far and they have several clubs (shhhh....it's secret!). If you guys ever find your way up in the Huntsville area let me know and if nothing else we can meet and talk about brewing over a few pints.

Kegged - Ryerish Red

― William Shakespeare

Old 03-19-2013, 04:54 AM   #69
harmenbor
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Anybody got any word when we will have another shot at homebrewing becoming legal in Alabama?

Quote:
What wrong wid da beer we got?

Old 03-19-2013, 10:06 AM   #70
ImperialLover
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 118

Default This year

Still have a shot on this year's session. It's not on the calendar the last I heard. Democrats in the legislature are reading every line of every bill and severely impacting the time it takes to get through a schedule. Everything's up in the air last I heard.

Keg 1- Air
Keg 2- Air
Primary 1- Rainy Day Red
Primary 2- Air
Secondary 1- Air
Secondary 2- Air
On Deck- H&D On the Brown Low
In The Hole- Water into Barleywine!
Near Future-
harmenbor Likes This 

Quick Reply