Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Brewing Events & Local Gatherings > South East USA > Tennessee HomeBrew Forum > Smokey Mountain Brewery Gatlinburg

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-18-2010, 03:02 AM   #11
Diver165
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I have to say I wasn't impressed a bit. I had the 9 beer sampler along with a few pints of the Black Bear Ale. All the beers lacked body. I'm not a huge pale ale fan, but it had the most character of them all. Second was the Black Bear Ale. The food was good. Yes our waitress was Russian. But she spoke English well (and was hot...)

But back to the beer... I honestly was disappointed. None of the beers except the IPA had any real hop flavor. All had wonderful color and clarity (except the wheat beer of course), but all were bland and had little carbination or head. I was so totally let down... I felt like a 5 year old that just found out that there was no Santa Clause.

But when life deals you lemons,...make lemonade. My steak was very good, my family was with me having fun. Hell, I'm sure someone out there must like their beer. I sure tried like hell to like it (I got hammered). But it still just didn't smoke my shorts.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2013, 06:49 PM   #12
GALLOWAY
Recipes 

That is the worst location to try their beer at... If you come back this way you really need to stop at the Bearden Hill Location in Knoxville. That is where the guy that does the majority of the brewing brews at and puts it on their taps freshest...

I have to say I was really hoping Sierra Nevada would have located their brewery here instead of NC because it would have made the locals step their game up a bit.

Cheers

Nick

Old 01-16-2014, 10:17 PM   #13
rmoody
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Just an FYI to anyone watching this thread. Marty Vellas (the head brewer) has decided to depart from Smokey Mountain Brewery after 19 years. His departure is amicable, he's decided to move on to another area of the brewing industry but will still be in the Knoxville area.

I agree with many of the comments here about the beer not standing out any. That's not by Marty's choice, he's controlled by the owners of the franchise. He has done a great job setting up an awesome foundation that could go anywhere with any style.

My favorites from SMB are the Raspberry Wheat and the Winter Warmer seasonals and the Vellas Hellas (sure to be renamed). I am excited to see if any changes are coming and wish SMB and Marty all the best. Cheers Marty!

Galloway, are you from the area? I am in Karns, we frequent the Bearden location the most as my wife likes the food better at Calhoun's than SMB.

Old 01-18-2014, 03:45 PM   #14
Flip2spin23
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Where did Marty go to ?

Old 01-23-2014, 12:19 PM   #15
rmoody
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

He'll be working with a company that is involved in the production/bottling side of the brewing industry. Sounded like part sales, part training, part consultant stuff. He's still physically in the area.

Old 06-10-2014, 08:44 PM   #16
huhwha
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I've been to this place a few times. I am sure these are professional brewers that are intentionally brewing the beers to have more "mass appeal". Last time through I tried the IPA. Very bland.

I understand their marketing strategy, I just don't enjoy it. It's too bad, because the food isn't awful and the place has a nice funky feel to it.

Quick Reply