Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Brewing Events & Local Gatherings > Great Lakes USA > Michigan HomeBrew Forum > U.P. Brewery Book

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-19-2013, 05:52 PM   #1
whatsleftofyou
Third Eye Pried Wide
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default U.P. Brewery Book

I'm in the very early stages of working with Jesse from Things to do in the U.P. on a book about all of the current breweries in the U.P. We have a lot of neat ideas, but also want some input from the beer community: What kind of things would you like to see in a book like this? It's mostly meant to be a "tour guide", but we also want to cover the history of the breweries, etc. Any ideas will be much appreciated.

On Tap: Orange Chocolate Stout, Belgian Wit, Chocolate Rye Ale, Belgian Singel, American Pale Ale
Bottled: PB&J Sweet Stout, Belgian Saison, Brown Porter

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2013, 01:52 PM   #2
mors
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 75 Times on 70 Posts
Likes Given: 96

Honesty. Sucks to read how great the beers are at a brewery...get there and they are terrible. If a beer is bad... say so.

Old 01-21-2013, 07:08 PM   #3
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2033 Times on 1462 Posts
Likes Given: 1115

History is always good IMO. Maybe a brief description of the area to go along with it. Let's face it, anyone can find stuff online in a hurry nowadays. I like reading about the place and the area to give a little life to the place.

Always nice to know what styles the brewery focuses on, if any.

Hours, food options, etc. of course.

Old 02-05-2013, 04:17 PM   #4
Helly

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Very cool idea. I would love to see a few pictures of the local scenery along with each brewery. It's so pretty up there in the summer. I'm too much of a wuss to head north in the winter but I imagine all the snow can be pretty scenic too. We've been to tahquamenon and Lake Superior and enjoyed both.

Old 02-05-2013, 04:34 PM   #5
reverendj1
Recipes 

Liked 86 Times on 70 Posts
Likes Given: 113

Another troll here. I wish I would have seen that website when I stayed a week in the UP last year. It was hard for me to find much info online of what to do ahead of time. A lot the UP websites I went to (if I could find one) looked like they were from ~20 years ago. Not to bash or anything, it was just hard finding good info. Now, on to the book:

I think it would be great to have a list of each breweries mainstays, with tasting notes. Also, at least mention any seasonals (as I realize it could be hard to actually taste them all), so people can get a good idea of what's there. As others have said, obviously food, hours, atmosphere, nearby attractions, etc. are all important too. An overall brewery rating would be good too. Like say 5 stars for beer, 5 for food, 5 for atmosphere, etc. If I know there is a brewery around where I am vacationing, I will stop by regardless of ratings, but if I see one that looks really cool, I'll definitely go out of my way.

Old 02-19-2013, 01:12 AM   #6
Odawg
Recipes 

Well, I'm sure you already have the Escanaba area covered, whatsleft, but I'd be glad to give you some breweries from the keweenaw:

Houghton: the Keweenaw Brewing Company, and the Library Bar & Restaurant, since of course they make beer on premise.
Calumet: Michigan House Cafe & Brew Pub
Copper Harbor: Brickside Brewery (a fellow HBT member owns this brewery).

Marquette area:
Ishpeming: Jasper Ridge Brewery
Marquette: The Verling Restaurant and Brewery, Black Rocks Brewery, The Ore Dock Brewery

Old 04-18-2013, 12:41 PM   #7
whatsleftofyou
Third Eye Pried Wide

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Thanks for the feedback so far. We're definitely going to focus on other things to do in the area, etc. The goal is to make the ultimate "beer travel guide" for the U.P. Does anyone have any specific questions for any of the individual breweries?

On Tap: Orange Chocolate Stout, Belgian Wit, Chocolate Rye Ale, Belgian Singel, American Pale Ale

Old 04-19-2013, 07:53 PM   #8
Jacob_Marley
Recipes 

Liked 153 Times on 121 Posts
Likes Given: 53

As someone with both German and Finnish relatives in the UP, I’d be interested in a more in depth look at how the ethnic influences of the UP’s immigrants affected brewing ... Germans, Cornish, Irish, Italians, and particularly the Finnish.

I’ve never heard of any Finnish brewing tradition (as in breweries) in the UP but I know there are a couple of Finnish style beers ... Olut and Sahti, which at least one brewery in the UP is producing.

Ore-Dock Brewery makes Lunta Olut

In the Lower there’s also Salmiakki Olut from Dark Horse Brewing ... and Dark Horse also makes a Sahti, another type of Finnish beer usually flavored with juniper. But that's in Marshall (thanx Mors :-)

(btw HBT has a Sahti recipe at ... http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f78/sahti-finnish-juniper-ale-1st-place-cat-23-2nd-place-best-show-321633/ ... and down in the Lower I think Copper Canyon in Southfield did a Sahti called Heidrun a couple years ago.)

Anyhow, the identification of the UP’s breweries and available beers with the immigrants who populated the area would be very interesting.

Old 04-19-2013, 11:29 PM   #9
mors
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 75 Times on 70 Posts
Likes Given: 96

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob_Marley View Post
As someone with both German and Finnish relatives in the UP, I’d be interested in a more in depth look at how the ethnic influences of the UP’s immigrants affected brewing ... Germans, Cornish, Irish, Italians, and particularly the Finnish.

I’ve never heard of any Finnish brewing tradition (as in breweries) in the UP but I know there are a couple of Finnish style beers ... Olut and Sahti, which a couple breweries in the UP are producing.

Ore-Dock Brewery makes Lunta Olut

Then there’s also Salmiakki Olut from Dark Horse Brewing ... and Dark Horse also makes a Sahti, another type of Finnish beer usually flavored with juniper.

(btw HBT has a Sahti recipe at ... http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f78/sahti-finnish-juniper-ale-1st-place-cat-23-2nd-place-best-show-321633/ ... and down in the Lower I think Copper Canyon in Southfield did a Sahti called Heidrun a couple years ago.)

Anyhow, the identification of the UP’s breweries and available beers with the immigrants who populated the area would be very interesting.
You do know that Dark Horse is in the lower peninsula. It's in Marshall near Battle Creek.

Old 04-20-2013, 02:06 PM   #10
whatsleftofyou
Third Eye Pried Wide

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

That's certainly an interesting angle. To my knowledge there isn't much of a connection there, but I will certainly look into it. I know that most of the pre-prohibition U.P. breweries were started by off-the-boat Germans, but that's an entirely different book.

Quick Reply