Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Too many hobbies!!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-11-2009, 01:27 PM   #11
Marko73
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Brewing
Fly Fishing
Gardening
Arguing w/ SWMBO about money for these hobbies

My wife had a baby 3 months ago so no we have a 15 month old and a 3 month. Needless to say, the hobbies have been on the back burner for awhile.

In all seriousness, it is all about time management and choices. If I have 3 hours on a Sunday afternoon, I am definitely brewing. You really just have to plan what you're going to do when free time comes around. With 2 under 2, that happens very rarely. .

"It is sheer folly to be taken by the hand and led down the path of better brewing by someone who says that they know it all. No, it is your experience that counts most. It is your experience that will always lead you to more questions."

~Charlie Papazian

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2009, 02:08 PM   #12
SowegaBrews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

This thread is useless without pictures guys...

Mine are mostly your usual southern stuff...

Canoeing

Hiking

I have also done a ridiculous amount of videography. Mostly skateboarding/BMX/MTB based, but at age 19 I completly produced, shot, edited, and paid for a video that was premiered at a local theater. I barely broke even on the deal, but it sure was fun... If you're bored feel free to check out a pretty bad representation of it all over on my YouTube Page

Other fun stuff?

I built this slide a couple years ago for me and my friends. It was pretty fun.

When I get a chance, I'm a big fan of scuba diving. I worked at a scuba shop for awhile when I was younger and was lucky enough to get certified for free and had free use of shop equipment. I've only been diving once this year, but dammit if that stuff isn't amazing.

But, on a day to day basis... when I'm not working I mostly ride my mountain bike and work on the local trails. I built this ladder bridge the other day with a friend of mine using only hand tools. I'd never cut down a tree with an axe before, but wow... my hands were b.e.a.t.

Sadly right now brewing is not one of my hobbies (had to take a hiatus due to my job), hopefully soon that will change, but for now browsing HBT sure is!

Old 11-11-2009, 02:23 PM   #13
The Pol
Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 48 Posts

Brewing
Biking

That is about it, I spend 360+ hours per month at work, so that is about all I can manage to do!

Old 11-11-2009, 02:47 PM   #14
nostalgia
Recipes 

Liked 58 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 8

My FIL calls me a "power hobbyist" because I throw myself fully into every hobby I start. My wife says my hobby is collecting hobbies because I have so many.

Radio controlled cars/planes/helicopters, woodworking/woodturning, blacksmithing, mountain biking, road biking, rock climbing (out and indoors), skateboarding, beer, bread baking, cooking, whisky, photography, astronomy, restoring British sports cars, playing various musical instruments (badly), writing computer games...

I just do whatever I'm in the mood for at the moment. Right now it's usually beer and/or Rock Band

-Joe

Old 11-11-2009, 02:54 PM   #15
nostalgia
Recipes 

Liked 58 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Sorry, forgot the pictures! I also forgot to mention pool. Here I am with Julie Kelley, Karen Corr and Jen Baretta.

Did I forget to mention that I make bows?

Oh yeah, big into espresso and home roasting.

And some of the previously mentioned hobbies...

You can see a bit of the home theater obsession I also forgot to mention in the background here. Outlaw audio 950 (recently upgraded to a 990) processor + 7100 amp.

-Joe

Old 11-11-2009, 04:34 PM   #16
middleofnowhere
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

what year is you z28? I just got my 80 z28 on the road, now I have to store it because of the snow. awesome car, I have about $10000 into it and it is just barely road worthy, haven't even touched the engine yet. I love camaros, I even named my dog cammy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODaniel View Post
I've got in and out of a few expensive hobbies and things.

Computers
Audio
Cars (can't afford anything else for my Z28, sucks)
Beer (brewing and buying good beer sometimes)
Bourbon
and now Cigars.

I know nothing!

Old 11-11-2009, 04:51 PM   #17
KYB
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by middleofnowhere View Post
what year is you z28? I just got my 80 z28 on the road, now I have to store it because of the snow. awesome car, I have about $10000 into it and it is just barely road worthy, haven't even touched the engine yet. I love camaros, I even named my dog cammy.
I have a 99 Z28. Longtube headers, catless Y, and axleback, all Hooker. Also have a few other small things (clutch, intake, clutch cylinder, etc). I NEED wider wheels and tires. I can't catch traction for the life of me. I have to drive it in the winter, although last winter it didn't move for a month or more because we had an ice storm. Everything turned into a skating rink. Next would be cam and heads, then suspension.

Old 11-11-2009, 05:04 PM   #18
MultumInParvo
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nostalgia View Post
Sorry, forgot the pictures! I also forgot to mention pool. Here I am with Julie Kelley, Karen Corr and Jen Baretta.

-Joe
You sir, had some serious mutton chops. Consider me impressed.

Old 11-11-2009, 05:13 PM   #19
TwoHeadsBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 2

My hobbies:

Beer (obviously) - not spending as much money as last year, not that I have my 10 gallon all grain setup. Big items this year were natural gas burner and fermentation chamber.

Bikes - I love cycling, and it's definitely my "new" hobby. But it also serves as my main mode of transportation. I sold my car for $8k, and bought a bike + accessories for $1200, and put the rest in the bank. I save $100+ each month by not paying for gas, insurance, registrations, oil changes, etc. In 7 more months it will be paid for...and actually putting money back in the bank.

Photography - don't spend much money on it, I just get out there and shoot. My dad just gave me his Canon Rebel xti with a telephoto lens too, so I've been doing that a lot more.

Computers - used to build them quite a bit, but haven't lately. I spend all day at work on a computer, and don't have much time to game anymore like I used to.

Fermenting: ESB
Kegged: Extra IPA, Brown Ale, American Wheat, Blackheart Stout
Coming Up: Dunkleweizen, 3C Pale Ale

DIY Fermentation Chamber
More Brew Stuff

Old 11-11-2009, 05:26 PM   #20
imaguitargod
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ-Bill View Post
Does any ones else have to many hobbies!! killing the bank account all at once!!!!!

how do you guys manage them?
I completely understand where you're coming from. Right now I'm managing recording a new album, playing out, building my own instruments for my noise band, furthuring my brewing education, brewing beer, gardening, drinking heavily, photography, poetry.

I also try to touch on my other hobbies here and there:
Fencing, gun handling/ marksmanship, western style gun spinning, magic, golf, hacky sack, impressions, pinball, airhockey, fooseball, lock smithing, guitar, bass guitar.

I have nixed a few hobbies over the years, comic book collecting (which I'm trying to sell my massive collection right now), prop replica building, model building, etc etc.

I really don't know how I fidn time for them all, but somehow I do.

Brewer for Hoppin' Frog Brewery.
"I am not an alcoholic, I’m a drunk. An alcoholic means that I have a problem and when I drink all my problems go away."

Last edited by imaguitargod; 11-11-2009 at 05:29 PM.

Quick Reply