Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Are there any professional Brewers here?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-03-2007, 09:15 AM   #1
fightguy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Are there any professional Brewers here?

I'm interested in hearing how you like it there. What are the best/worst things about working at your brewery? Do you get any "special perks"?

Thanks!

www.bloodyknux.com

Last edited by fightguy; 11-03-2007 at 10:06 AM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2007, 10:49 AM   #2
Orfy
For the love of beer!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 30

There are a few guys who work in breweries and brew pubs on the forum.

Old 11-03-2007, 02:55 PM   #3
MTpilot

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I started as the Asst. Brewer at a small brew pub in Billings, MT last August. It's great. It's not a full time job (it only takes about 1.5 people to keep it running smoothly) and it doesn't pay that well. But i'm not there to make a career out of it. It's more of a nice break from the other two jobs. I've been waiting tables and bar tending there for almost 2 years, and I'm also a flight instructor for one of the colleges here.

It's been a great learning experience, and really made me comfortable with my home brewing practices.

Planning: ?

Old 11-04-2007, 01:55 AM   #4
rohanski
Recipes 

Tip:

Find something you like and doo it well then you don't need more than one job. Everything else is a hobby. I see way too many people knocking themselves out trying to make ends meet with a bunch of meaningless jobs because they refuse to devote themself to one thing they doo well.

Old 11-04-2007, 01:05 AM   #5
Flyin' Lion

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 7 Posts

Flight instructors usually have at least one other job for suplemental income. Instructing is normally only done to build hours in hopes of getting an airline job-MTpilot is probably biding his time till his hours are up.

I remember spending 12 hour days at the airport and only flying 4 - 6 hours, at $10 an hour that isn't much to support yourself on.

Old 11-04-2007, 01:34 AM   #6
Spyk'd

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

I work at a brewery and all I can say is, "Why couldn't this have happened sooner?!"

I smile every day going in to work and smile each day as I leave. It's like homebrewing on steroids. If you truly LOVE brewing and I don't mean you like producing cheap alcohol, but feel it's still a chore, then you'll like brewing full time.

The money wasn't good at first, but there's tons of overtime and I got a raise after 3 months, so now things are good.

Perks? Oh yeah...between my homebrew (yes, I still homebrew. I LOVE it, remember?) and what I take home for free from the brewery, I haven't had to buy any beer since I've worked there.

Any questions?

American Red
Keg Conditioning:
Gruit
On Tap:
ESB
Bottled:
Nada...
On Deck:
Porter, Belgian Abbey Ale

Old 11-04-2007, 01:43 AM   #7
McKBrew

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Spyk'd, you are a truly lucky person. Enjoy what you do, and look forward to working everyday. I hope to be in that position someday, but right now I have 8 mouths to feed, but in 4 1/2 yrs I will have the option to be a bit more choosy with what I do.

Make Beer, Not War.

Old 11-04-2007, 07:12 AM   #8
fightguy
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyk'd
I work at a brewery and all I can say is, "Why couldn't this have happened sooner?!"

I smile every day going in to work and smile each day as I leave. It's like homebrewing on steroids. If you truly LOVE brewing and I don't mean you like producing cheap alcohol, but feel it's still a chore, then you'll like brewing full time.

The money wasn't good at first, but there's tons of overtime and I got a raise after 3 months, so now things are good.

Perks? Oh yeah...between my homebrew (yes, I still homebrew. I LOVE it, remember?) and what I take home for free from the brewery, I haven't had to buy any beer since I've worked there.

Any questions?

Yes. Do you remember what kind of questions that they asked you in your interview? I feel totally unprepared for it because I am a relative novice in homebrewing and have never worked in this field before. Any information you could give would be greatly appreciated!

www.bloodyknux.com

Old 11-04-2007, 01:55 PM   #9
dcarter
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 10

I wish that I lived in a state with alcohol laws that made since. I would love to have a small brewpub in my town. I would volunteer and work for free.

My trash heap fridge rescue and conversion to a first class fermentation chamber

If you don't like your job, you don't strike!.....You just go in everyday and do it really half a$$ed, THATS the American way! - Homer J Simpson

Old 11-04-2007, 04:00 PM   #10
Spyk'd

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fightguy
Yes. Do you remember what kind of questions that they asked you in your interview? I feel totally unprepared for it because I am a relative novice in homebrewing and have never worked in this field before. Any information you could give would be greatly appreciated!
Seeing as I was going for a management position, we focussed on my management experience and skills. Noticed how I said "we"? Remember, you control the flow of an interview as much as the interviewers. As soon as they are finished with their question, you have the floor. Steer all questions to your strengths. This also comes across as confidence.

It did help that I have been homebrewing for 6 years and could keep up with all of their brewing questions. I think I even stumped/impressed them with my knowledge on a few things. Do your homework!

I guess the most important thing that helped me was that I researched the company (homework again) and made it clear that I was ready to make a committment to them to improve the company and work in any capacity, doing any job (and I did!).

Something I witnessed but never tried is bringing a notebook into the interview and take notes. Almost like YOU'RE interviewing THEM.

The bottom line is, if you are ready to breathe, eat, sweat, and dream about beer, then go for it. Make all sacrifices necessary and make it known to the company that you are willing to make those sacrifices and you'll get it.

Hope this helps!

American Red
Keg Conditioning:
Gruit
On Tap:
ESB
Bottled:
Nada...
On Deck:
Porter, Belgian Abbey Ale

Quick Reply