SWMBO Just...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CreamyGoodness

Reaction score
Got news that she has been promoted at work. She starts in her new capacity the beginning of the year, and a lot of our problems (namely debt, irregular hours, lack of healthcare) might very well be in the rear-view mirror soon.

I am in a rather good mood.

Thanks for listening.

:tank:

Awesome. That can make a world of difference.

Congrats to her!

Now she'll really have to be obeyed. I hope the extra money and better schedule doesn't come at the cost of more stress but I don't want to pee on your parade. To start the year with a new job and a new attitude is truly a wonderful thing.

All the best!

Now you can worry a little less about paying for your hospital stay after the okra wine. After years of being a healthy dirtbag, I 'celebrated' having insurance with a freak accident and some emergency surgery. Good news is I opened the bill today and we'll have our share paid down in less than 6 months.

Now, upgrade EVERYTHING in your brewery to celebrate! It's what she really wants ya know.

CreamyGoodness said:
Got news that she has been promoted at work. She starts in her new capacity the beginning of the year, and a lot of our problems (namely debt, irregular hours, lack of healthcare) might very well be in the rear-view mirror soon.

I am in a rather good mood.

Thanks for listening.

:tank:

Congrats to you both. Is this a SWMBO just.... thread now? I ask because I have a good one.

wolfstar said:
Good news...Don't be ashamed af sharing the good news, glad to see a fellow American succeed!!!!

Well, in this case, SWMBO is girlfriend, not wife(yet?). But, she just got job in remote Alaska (Arctic circle) as a clerk for a judge next summer when she graduates law school. When I say remote i mean only accessible by plane and town of 3000, mostly native Eskimo. Trying to figure out what it will take to accompany her on that adventure. VA to Ak is a huge leap, especially moving there with no job and relying on her until that changes.
..... Oh yeah, her job is a one year position there as is typical for most clerkships. Any ideas on how to handle this one?

Well, in this case, SWMBO is girlfriend, not wife(yet?). But, she just got job in remote Alaska (Arctic circle) as a clerk for a judge next summer when she graduates law school. When I say remote i mean only accessible by plane and town of 3000, mostly native Eskimo. Trying to figure out what it will take to accompany her on that adventure. VA to Ak is a huge leap, especially moving there with no job and relying on her until that changes.
..... Oh yeah, her job is a one year position there as is typical for most clerkships. Any ideas on how to handle this one?

Get accustomed to the taste of whale blubber.

I am the Technical Support Manager for the Alaska Court Systems Technology. Where are you going, Barrow?

That's great news!!!!!!!!!!!!

Glad to hear it, and I'm so glad you told us, your imaginary friends!

I thought his imaginary friends were bobbing up in down in his mead bottles. I'm real enough. Touch your screen and I'll giggle like the Pillsbury Doughboy.

Subsailor said:
I am the Technical Support Manager for the Alaska Court Systems Technology. Where are you going, Barrow?

Kotzebue. Ever been there? I had never heard of that place. I have no idea what i would even do for work if I went. That town is pretty small, and by the looks of it very cold and isolated as well. Oh, and I'm sure the brewing would have to stop considering everything has to be shipped there when moving. No roads go there and brewing equipment is not at the top of the list of necessities when you're paying by the lb. for freight to the Arctic circle.
Where are you in Alaska?

Kotzebue. Ever been there? I had never heard of that place. I have no idea what i would even do for work if I went. That town is pretty small, and by the looks of it very cold and isolated as well. Oh, and I'm sure the brewing would have to stop considering everything has to be shipped there when moving. No roads go there and brewing equipment is not at the top of the list of necessities when you're paying by the lb. for freight to the Arctic circle.
Where are you in Alaska?

I live in Eagle River, 10 miles north of Anchorage but essentially North Anchorage.
I have been to Kotzebue several times, look it up on a map. It is nearly an island in Kotzebue Sound in the Bering Sea. Windy (often Gale force), Cold and Dark in the Winter. Nice Summers for a couple of weeks, LOL! I have enjoyed my visits up there but most of the folks I knew at that time have retired or moved.

Subsailor said:
I live in Eagle River, 10 miles north of Anchorage but essentially North Anchorage.
I have been to Kotzebue several times, look it up on a map. It is nearly an island in Kotzebue Sound in the Bering Sea. Windy (often Gale force), Cold and Dark in the Winter. Nice Summers for a couple of weeks, LOL! I have enjoyed my visits up there but most of the folks I knew at that time have retired or moved.

That's the impression i got from the Internet research I've been doing. Not sure how people deal with -40° for months at a time. Especially in a place where you have to walk everywhere you go (shipping a vehicle there costs around $3k, which isn't an option for a one year stay). Not to mention a month without any sunlight.

That's the impression i got from the Internet research I've been doing. Not sure how people deal with -40° for months at a time. Especially in a place where you have to walk everywhere you go (shipping a vehicle there costs around $3k, which isn't an option for a one year stay). Not to mention a month without any sunlight.

It's important to note that most of the western towns are dry and possession of alcohol will get you in deep walrus poop. Might want to look into that.

Most folks use a Sno-go in the winter and a 4 wheeler in the summer. The wind was so fierce in January 2009 that it blew me over a block and a half east at the intersection while I was trying to go north. After that I borrowed a friend's sno-go. Good hunting and fishing up that way, in the winter Snow and King crabs.
Airplane and Barge are the only way to get anything up there. No roads beyond the local ones there; we don't have the highway infrastructure of the lower 48.
The good news is the Telcoms and Cable companies are improving signal strength and bandwidth to the rural areas!

It's important to note that most of the western towns are dry and possession of alcohol will get you in deep walrus poop. Might want to look into that.

Definitely check into it, I don't even try to keep up with who is dry, damp or wet anymore unless I am heading out, then I check for locations I am going to at that time. It is actually easier to avoid taking alcohol to most of the rural locations anyway.

Back