Spot the Space Station

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Watched the one last Thursday here on the West Coast, it was just dark enough you could see the whole thing, but to bright for my camera (phone) to get a good shot.

Another double landing will be awesome!

From all accounts the mission has been proceeding nominally. Both side boosters safely returned...

1667310690415.png

Things like this show how dated NASA really is in it's launch capabilities. They need to stick with exploratory equipment like the MARS helicopter and rovers.

I'm not surprised, the chemistry that makes a solid rocket work may have a shelf life. Surely moisture ingress over time would be deleterious to nominal performance and I don't know that SRBs have a function like a "throttle" to compensate.

The push out to the 16th is noted...

Cheers!

Yup. So far so good! Heck of a liftoff, too!

Those main engines are massive. Reminds me of the F1 engines on the Saturn-V, but these RS-25 engines used on the Artemis core booster are actually leftovers from the space shuttle program...

Last edited:
Orion live cam stream with 1:33 left before splashdown. The longer it runs the cooler it's gonna get :)

and mission control live stream...

Seemed like the Orion return went flawlessly - assuming it doesn't sink during the extended ocean soaking (testing thing).
Maybe this will encourage the funding needed to take the next steps in the Artemis program...

I've had Liftoff in my Kindle library since the last time you recommended it. It's only one 6 volume series and one other book away :)

Lots of spacey stuff going on. We got a comet in the neighborhood, SpaceX has a Falcon Heavy launch scheduled for either the 14 or 15, and one of a bunch of vanilla Starlink missions in January is set to go up on the 15th.

https://news.yahoo.com/stay-watch-rare-green-comet-165455364.html
Cheers!

I've had Liftoff in my Kindle library since the last time you recommended it. It's only one 6 volume series and one other book away :)

Lots of spacey stuff going on. We got a comet in the neighborhood, SpaceX has a Falcon Heavy launch scheduled for either the 14 or 15, and one of a bunch of vanilla Starlink missions in January is set to go up on the 15th.

https://news.yahoo.com/stay-watch-rare-green-comet-165455364.html
Cheers!

If you have a few minutes to kill, you should look into amateur satellites. Yes, there are many of them in orbit. The ones I'm familiar with are the CubeSAT satellites used for HAM radio communications. They are designed by amateur radio enthusiasts and launched as ballast on commercial space missions. They are only about 10cm cubed. I'm a licensed amateur radio operator. I mostly work in HF frequencies that stay inside our planet's ionosphere. Satellite comm requires VHF. We use these satellites as repeaters to reach distant locations on the planet.

1673643153865.png

So the Falcon Heavy launch apparently went off without any notable hitches. This video captures the last minute and a half or so of the side booster landings, which did suffer a bit from the late afternoon lighting...

Cheers!

Ours is scheduled for tomorrow morning (Starlink launch). I've been waiting for the sky to clear up enough to see the comet, but it's still to cloudy and/or hazy to even try.

Latest posts

Back