So how legal (or il) is this? (TexLaw??)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bobby_M said:
She'll have to take YOU to small claims to get back the money she paid already and she better have some proof that she did pay it. You could say you loaned her the car and never returned it. In fact, unless she has a contract signed by both of you as to the arrangement, YOU can report the car stolen right now and the cops will go get it.

While we're talking about bad ways to do things, don't go lie to a judge or the cops, ever. The facts WILL come out (e.g., "what do you mean you loaned the car to her six months ago and she never returned it? Why did it take you so long to do something?"). When you're already wearing the white hat, like this guy is, don't screw it up by lying. You will become the bad guy in a hurry, and you'll get screwed (by yourself, for that matter).

Nothing . . . I repeat . . . NOTHING pisses off a judge more and faster than a liar. Once you've lied, you've lost ALL credibility, and there's no getting it back. Once you've lost credibility, you've lost the case. Period. The end. Put your pencils down. Close the book. Go home. You lost.

That's free legal advice you can take to the bank.

TL

walking to the bank as we speak....

btw, your friend may have called a lawyer to speak with them, mot lawyers will talk to you over the phone first to get the facts and then tell you what actions need to be taken.... they may offer you advice, i've called around to a few lawyers in the time of need and have received consultation right over the phone for nothing...

if they decide your case is legit, they throw you a fee, or a rate they will charge to handle the case for you... then they get all your info and have you come in for a sit down, you go over everything again, they write up a few things and do all the legal stuff for you and then send you a bill in the mail...

that's been my experience with lawyers.

TexLaw said:
While we're talking about bad ways to do things, don't go lie to a judge or the cops, ever. The facts WILL come out (e.g., "what do you mean you loaned the car to her six months ago and she never returned it? Why did it take you so long to do something?"). When you're already wearing the white hat, like this guy is, don't screw it up by lying. You will become the bad guy in a hurry, and you'll get screwed (by yourself, for that matter).

Nothing . . . I repeat . . . NOTHING pisses off a judge more and faster than a liar. Once you've lied, you've lost ALL credibility, and there's no getting it back. Once you've lost credibility, you've lost the case. Period. The end. Put your pencils down. Close the book. Go home. You lost.

That's free legal advice you can take to the bank.

TL

And more input from a DFW police officer:

Ultimately, it's a civil matter that involves a civil judge deciding what the terms of the sale are and who actually owns the car. If he "sold" it to her then he has given her rights to the car. Was there a bill of sale involved? Who has an insurance policy on the vehicle? Who paid the registration renewal?

This isn't really a situation the police get involved in sorting out until he actually takes the car back. She will call the police and say its her car and it dissappeared and she has no idea who took it. She will show some registration or insurance with her name on it establishing control over the car so then the police will report the car as a stolen vehicle unless they get any wind that it could be the original owner getting it back. She will probably hide that pretty well. Then, if the car is stolen your buddy will get stopped on a felony traffic stop at gun point, handcuffed, and hassled until he can show that he does have ownership of the vehicle.

That's worst case....best case would be for him to contact the police department where the female lives, explain the situation, show proof of ownership, title, etc. and then recover the vehicle. Then when she goes to file a stolen vehicle report the PD will already know the back story. It ultimately depends on the details of how this "sale" went down so since I don't know the exact specifics none of this is specific legal advice for your buddies situation.....just general brainstorming on similiar scenarios.

I just read this thread for the first time tonight, and am blown away by the idea of having to finance a purchase of a fricking 81 VW. Shafferpilot's post notwithstanding.
I'm with Bird on this one- he shouldn't have let this bimbo finance it in the first place. That's what banks are for. If the bank won't give her the dough, why did he?

Wow thanks Kornkob! I've been busy and hadn't checked in for awhile.

Apparently things are worked out, this chick's mom called him and she's making the payments for her.....whatever I guess. Glad it's not my car/situation

Thanks again guys

Cool story, chitty ending-talk about anti-climatic....:(

I was all 'crunch, crunch, crunch, BURP!' right up until the end.

Sorta goes to show how communication can make things better.;)

Back