Private Clubs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flexbrew

Reaction score
Is anyone part if a private club, or have any experience starting one?

A club can be as complicated or as uncomplicated as you want.

Variables might include
member's dues
bank accounts
tax status
board members
bylaws
incorporation ...

It all depends on what your intentions are.
What are your intentions?

Intwntions are to rent a space, have members. Invite guests, have monthly mtgs there and maybe small events to iffset costs of dues. Nit sure what type of license would be required. I guesss its by town?

Well first you would need to decide what kind of club or the purpose of it that you wanted. Normally in order for people to be interested in joining it would have to be something that otherwise would be illegal. Gambling and cigars are two common ones. In most states, to my understanding, gambling is completely legal as long as the place doing it does not profit at all.

Intwntions are to rent a space, have members. Invite guests, have monthly mtgs there and maybe small events to iffset costs of dues. Nit sure what type of license would be required. I guesss its by town?

on horseback with sprained thumbs on sticky buttons ... or what?

License for what?
What is "by town"?

I think he means that licensing requirements, for forming a members only paid dues club, would vary depending on which town the establishment was in

Doing it by the numbers rather than passing a hat? If you are going to be collecting actual dues, then the federal government wants their vigorish. The state might too (in fact the state might want you to be incorporated ... check with your state). The whole paying taxes thing will mean either qualifying as a nonprofit ... or paying taxes.
If the name of the club gets used in any other business activity (such as those events you mentioned) ... ya might have to file a DBA or notice of fictitious name or somesuch. All this said ... you may likely need a Business License (local/municipality) ... and they get a cut too. And then there’s liability insurance ...

Here’s a link to Massachusetts gov site ...
Forming a business: Step-by-step guide - Mass.Gov

or ya might just go out and buy a nice hat.

Back