Last Pack, I will miss you dear nicotine!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EuBrew

Reaction score
Since I have a new obsession to finance it's time to quit smoking, again.........
I guess it's coming down to buying all the brew gadgets I'd like to have, or continuing to kill myself puff by puff.

Here's to being able to taste all the subtle flavors of my future brews!!:mug:

Since I have a new obsession to finance it's time to quit smoking, again.........
I guess it's coming down to buying all the brew gadgets I'd like to have, or continuing to kill myself puff by puff.

good for you! quiting is hard - especially about day 3!

I've been tabaccy free for 955 days now, with a rough savings of $4,800 (not counting what chew actually costs now - but what it costs when I quit)

I know it's fing hard, I get irritated just thinking about how I'm going to feel on Sunday. I've quit 2 or 3 times for several months, never made it to a year. Last time I said I'm not going through this withdrawl crap again. Let's hope I mean it this time!

I'm smoke free now for 26 months. One of the really good decisions I made. I wish you the best of luck, you can do it!!!

just did the math - 794 days, and $3650 in savings (also not including the ridiculous tax increases in the past two years).

Sparkin up the last smoke and washing it down with my first homebrew, even though it's not quite carbed yet.

Here's to trying not to kill anyone in the next few days :mug:

Hang in there. My in-laws quit together many years back and it was a bit of hell for a while, but they got through and love it. She is eating stuff that she could not eat for years!

My dad, OTOH never quit and passed away a few years ago at age 58. I can't honestly say that the smokes were what did him in, but it was a heart attack and he had been in pretty good health right up until the day he just fell over. He had even had a recent stress test that turned up ok, just the early stages of CPD.

My friend's dad had lung problems so bad that he was on oxy for years. One of the last times he talked to me was to beg me to buy him a pack of smokes. I felt bad I didn't do it because he was so far gone, but I couldn't bring myself to doing that to my friend. The sight of him in the last few months is enough to scare me away.

Good luck. My last was 8/16 at 0730. I threw the last smoke away a few days ago.

I'm using an e-cig to wean myself off the nic and break the habit of going outside (gum, patches, and lozenges haven't worked for me).

I quit smoking 6 years ago and at this point I barely remember even smoking.

You can do it! The first week is the toughest
For me by the end of the month I thought I wanted a cigarette but I wasn't able to stomach the taste of it. VICTORY!!!

Life is better without the cigarettes...I promise you that.

I've been smoke free for a year and a month. My trick was I put a half empty pack of cigarettes in the freezer, and a couple half smoked cigarettes on the porch. If I was going to smoke again, I had to smoke those first.

Day 2 I went for a half smoked... 2 puffs and I was done.

Not that I don't follow smokers sometimes for the second hand smoke...

I quit on 6/15/07. You can do it. The nicotine will be physically out of your system in 3 days. Don't be a hero or a martyr. Treat yourself through this time.

However, be careful. You've associated smoking with a lot (A LOT) of things. Beer. Coffee. Food. Sex. Phone calls. Stress. Happiness. Haircuts. Driving. Work. Social interactions. Everything has been associated with smoking up until this point. Everything will seem weird when you quit. You'll have a psychological push to go back to smoking to just feel normal. While its hard to accept, you need to push through the weirdness and accept it.

Reach out to those around you. Tell them that you need their support. Don't do this in the closet. You'll just ostracize yourself.

Checkout www.quitnet.com. There is a lot of great info there, and a lot of people who will be very supportive to you.

Best of luck.

I sometimes wish I would have started smoking, just so I could quit and have all that extra money not in the then current budget!

I looked at it like this, IT NO LONGER FACILITATES the reason I started to begin with, I never get the feeling that I did when I first started so why am I continueing to chase that demon. I quit cold turkey almost a year ago, and simply never looked back. GOOD FOR YOU, you can do it, now when you start to think about it change those thoughts to your new HOBBY. This new hobby will easily consume you...it did me!

August 2000 was the last time I sparked up a cigarette.
The first 60 days I was an absolute bear to deal with and I had gas that made flies fall out of the sky. I am guessing my body just needed to detox. It has been so long now that I hardly remember, BUT I still occasionally want one. But it's been so long, why pick it back up?!

6 and a half years for me, stick with it, the best thing that comes from giving it up is the freedom. You no longer measure things by the time to the next cigarette. Stick with it, it's worth it.

i'm on day two of my first real attempt to quit, it fraeking sucks, reading this has helped me some and made me want one too. luckily the nearest store is 10 mins away and i'm too lazy/broke to drive the car anywhere. i think the lack of availability to me is what's gonna help me the most.

Just think, extra money, your clothes and car don't stink, whiter teeth, able to be more athletic, beer and food taste better, no yellow fingers, and people don't give you the"I can't believe he still smokes, looser" look. Someday I'll be able to rejoin the "I Quit!" group, but I have gotten down to a 1/4 pack a day from 2-3 packs a day. Good so far. Maybe you can help me out with your thread here too......

I quit in January of this year and I cannot stand cigarettes any longer, I put it down cold turkey. The hardest thing for me to do was not smoke while I was at a bar.

4 1/2 years for me and I still think of how lucky I was to stick with it this time and give it up for good.

Best thing I find is that I can take a breath again without coughing my lung out in the morning, and I can smell things I could never have when I smoked.

And as a bonus, I save all that money so I can spend it on brewing.

I quit 4 years ago after 22 years of smoking a pack a day. I quit with the patch. I just wanted to quit before I turned 40.
Quitting with the patch was easy, the only thing is when you loose the patch in the middle of the day because you put it on wet after morning shower. You don't know why, but suddenly you started tapping with your fingers on the desk and your legs are starting to do the "restless legs syndrome" and you think: "Did I have too much coffee today or something? Oh ****, I bet the patch fell off!"

Good luck. Advice for you - never ever user nicotine gum to help you stop smoking. It's just new addiction and much more expensive.

Back