Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > iPad

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-28-2010, 12:32 PM   #1
Edcculus
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 37 Posts

Default iPad

http://www.apple.com/

iPad - your thoughts?

Stupid? Awesome? Waste of time? Revolutionary?

My initial impression when it was described to me was that I didn't like tablet computers when Dell was doing them, so why would I like this. After I watched the keynote video, I realized its a little more than that. Would I buy one? Probably not. At least not right now. I have a new Mac Book and absolutely love it. I'm in printing/prepress, so I've been using macs for a long time though. Call me a fanboy. Maybe I am. I'm withholding judgement until they are released and have proven themselves. Apple has a knack for taking a device everybody knows and completely reinventing it. This isn't a netbook, its not a squashed iPhone, its not a kindle and its not a tablet PC. With a browser, 3G, email capable, all the App Store applications, and who knows what else at this point I'm interested to see where it goes.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2010, 12:36 PM   #2
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 935 Times on 622 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Can I run Beertoolspro on it?

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 01-28-2010, 12:42 PM   #3
Edcculus
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 37 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M View Post
Can I run Beertoolspro on it?
If not, then its a useless hunk of junk!

They are launching the SDK. I think its up to the people who make Beer Tools Pro to make a compatible "app". It would be a pretty handy device on brew day with fully functioning brewing software. I use my laptop now, but it can be a bit ackward and clunky.

Old 01-28-2010, 12:45 PM   #4
OMJ
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I think its stupid. Why is there such a huge bezel on it? No multi tasking?? And then there is the biggest problem with it no flash support. That is a huge problem in my book as a huge portion of the internet is flash. Its nothing more than a giant ipod touch. I would much rather have the hp slate that can run a full version of windows 7.

Old 01-28-2010, 12:49 PM   #5
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 935 Times on 622 Posts
Likes Given: 28

While everyone is crazy about apps, I don't like the idea of the device company making the determination if they'll allow an app or not.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 01-28-2010, 12:49 PM   #6
IrregularPulse
Hobby Collector
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2759 Times on 2710 Posts
Likes Given: 115

It's apple, It may good functional in a couple years when we see Generation 3.

I should have stuck to four fingers in Vegas. :o - marubozo

Old 01-28-2010, 12:49 PM   #7
stedtale
Recipes 

I'm a mac guy, but when I saw this I thought, "Apple, netbooks have been around for a while..." That's basically what this is (I know it's more, but in general that's what it is, a small internet and email device that does not recieve phone calls), except it will break and scratch easier than a flipping netbook. The screen's "iPhoneish" interface is cool, but I'd rather have a netbook. I think it'll go the way of Apple TV, the 1st Apple USB mouse and a few of Apple's other flopped products.

That being said, as a graphic designer and Apple fan - been using them for years (I think it was the IIe), I think it's cool. No, I won't buy one, but I love how Apple is always trying to create something new - if this flops like the 1st USB mouse, I'm sure they'll come back and make it awesome, like they did with the mighty mouse.

Future Brews: Something Belgian...dubbel...anyone got a good one?
Primary: Irish Red Ale
Secondary: empty
Bottled: Kölsch, Creamy Ginger Ale

Old 01-28-2010, 12:56 PM   #8
Bopper
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 129

I really like it! I'm considering getting one but not right away

I probably wouldn't get 3G unless they come out with a prepaid service sans contract. I'd use this mainly for web surfing on the couch and when traveling. I would love it if I could run brew software on it.

Sounds like the Kindle app will work on it but I don't see this replacing my Kindle. I like the fact that Kindles screen isn't backlit and that its smaller. Kindle DX is toast though.

I'm undecided on storage. I still see my ipod as my primary music device and I'd continue using my imac for pictures. I'm sure I'd transfer music and some pics to the ipad but, even if I transferred all my music it's only about 5-6 gigs worth. That leaves me 10 GB left with the base model and apps don't take up much room.

The question I would need to answer is do I plan on storing a lot of video on it.? Also, do I wait to see what the Android tablet looks like or wait for second generation? I bet second generation is out before Christmas 2010. I love apple and don't see myself buying Android but who knows. The lack of flash support is a problem.

Last edited by Bopper; 01-28-2010 at 12:59 PM.

Old 01-28-2010, 12:56 PM   #9
OMJ
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by stedtale View Post
No, I won't buy one, but I love how Apple is always trying to create something new - if this flops like the 1st USB mouse, I'm sure they'll come back and make it awesome, like they did with the mighty mouse.
But its not new at all. Tablets have been out for years. They just arent popular cause they generally arent very functional/user friendly

Old 01-28-2010, 01:09 PM   #10
stedtale
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMJ View Post
But its not new at all. Tablets have been out for years. They just arent popular cause they generally arent very functional/user friendly
Yes, you are correct. I guess what I meant was, they are trying to take it in a different direction. And maybe that new direction is mass acceptance. Apple is at the hight of "cool" right now - they need a new income stream and why not a tablet/netbook...it'll sell like mad, then people will find out it stinks...then gen 3 will come out and work.

Future Brews: Something Belgian...dubbel...anyone got a good one?
Primary: Irish Red Ale
Secondary: empty
Bottled: Kölsch, Creamy Ginger Ale

Quick Reply