I90/I80 Buffalo Road Trip

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fiery Sword

Reaction score
I suppose I have to start calling her SWMBO.......looks like I'm driving out to Michigan for Thanksgiving!! Not only does one have to "meet the family", but aparently driving 700+ miles to do so is also necessary! :drunk:
Thankfully, I like long-distance driving (and the SWMBO;) ) - but I haven't realy gone out this corridor before. The plan is to pretty much take I90 and I80 all the way out through New York and Ohio and cut up into Michingan from the Toledo area. I'm looking to pit-stop overnight in Buffalo and do the bulk of the driving in 2 daytime installments.

Anyone have any good advice for food / stops / good beer along the path? I could be talked into doing the overnight in a spot other than Buffalo if someone can give me a better idea than wings and a pitcher of Genesee Cream at the Anchor Bar! :mug:
mapzw9.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

There's NOTHING WRONG with the Anchor Bar. Hell, you've go to hit the Anchor Bar. Not Genne, though - Molson. Molson Canadian and hot wings, there's nothing better in the world. I love Buffalo, but it's a very, very blue collar city. Take it for what it is and enjoy it.

Where in Michigan are you going? We've gone out that way a couple of times and trekked through Canada instead of down and around Erie. Be very wary of the weather, we've gotten stuck on the Thruway going out to Buffalo at Thanksgiving. The weather along that corridor can be absolutely atrocious.

Ditto on the Anchor Bar. I've heard too many good things to pass it up. People also say Buffalo is nice, so I figure it is an ideal break point.

We're going to Lansing/Okemos - I really don't know anything about this whole area but I'm told it's just plain 'old middle mass America by the woman. Should be a fun time.

I was initially leaning towards going through Canada but I've been convinced otherwise by potentially long border crossings, bad weather and slow speed limits. Most off, I really don't think I feel like dealing with leaving the country from a hastle/worry point of view. Those Canadian drivers....:drunk:

Bird is right, Anchor Bar and Molson Canadian. Don't even think about touching a Genne, you'll be driving through Rochester so you will see the river where they get their water. Gross.
Stopping in Utica may be a bit early in your trip but you could go to the Saranac Brewery in Utica and then hit Cavolo's for wings in New Hartford OR Piggy Pats BBQ in Washington Mills.
You could also stop in Syracuse and go to Dinosaur BBQ.

I'm from that "area" around Okemos and Lansing, but I only get back there occasionally. The last time I was there we went to an Irish Pub in the East End Mall (I think that is what it's called--it's the only outdoor mall in that area) called Claddaugh's (I'm sure I spelled that wrong). This place was awesome for what you get in Michigan, the ambiance was cool (dark with at least three fireplaces) and the beer on tap was better that expected, definitely someplace to check out.

Have fun (FWIW I met SWMBO's family on Thanksgiving also).

I-90 is going to literally take you through downtown Cleveland. There are 4 great brewpubs in northern Ohio that are just minutes of the highway. Now I may be biased (I can actually walk to 2 of them...), but any of them would be a good idea to stop and grab a bite to eat and maybe pick up a growler...

Ogre said:
I-90 is going to literally take you through downtown Cleveland. There are 4 great brewpubs in northern Ohio that are just minutes of the highway. Now I may be biased (I can actually walk to 2 of them...), but any of them would be a good idea to stop and grab a bite to eat and maybe pick up a growler...
Names man! I need names!!! :fro:

Easy there, tiger...Here they are, east to west

Willoughby Brewing Co.
Best on the east side of Cleveland with lots of brews on tap.
http://www.willoughbybrewing.com/

Rock Bottom Brewery
It's a chain, but it's still good food and beer brewed on-site
http://www.rockbottom.com/RockBottomWeb/RBR/Home.aspx

The almighty Great Lakes Brewing
Come for the beer; Leave for the food. Award winning beer with so-so food (the head chef just left)
http://www.greatlakesbrewing.com/

Rocky River Brewing Co.
My current favorite (I just had dinner there tonight, again) The brewmaster was previously at Great Lakes, plus the food is awesome.
http://www.rockyriverbrewco.com/

The Anchor Bar has good wings, but not too much on tap.

I'm from Buffalo, and I usually like to go to the Sterling Place Tavern. It's on the corner of Hertel and Sterling. Wings are very good, but the burgers are the best you will ever have. The steak sandwich's are really good as well. Looks kind of dumpy, but the food and beer are great.

They have about a dozen beers on tap, all either micro or imported (Stella, Sierra Pale, Great Lakes Dortmunder, Great Lakes Edmund, Flyin Bison...a local, Spaton Oktoberfest, couple wheat beers, Smithwick's, and some others I've forgotten).

Anyway, feel free to PM me if you need directions or some other suggestions.

Back